Wiki article on Unruh radiation

In summary, Wikki states that the Unruh effect can only be seen when the Rindler horizon is visible. If a refrigerator is placed between the particle and the horizon, the temperature of the wall is the equilibrium temperature of the refrigerator.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Wikki says the following with respect to Unruh effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Unruh_effect&oldid=563459371

The Unruh effect could only be seen when the Rindler horizon is visible. If a refrigerated accelerating wall is placed between the particle and the horizon, at fixed Rindler coordinate \rho_0, the thermal boundary condition for the field theory at \rho_0 is the temperature of the wall. By making the positive \rho side of the wall colder, the extension of the wall's state to \rho>\rho_0 is also cold. In particular, there is no thermal radiation from the acceleration of the surface of the Earth, nor for a detector accelerating in a circle[citation needed], because under these circumstances there is no Rindler horizon in the field of view.

I'm not at all sure it's accurate though.

I seem to be getting myself more confused as I try to think about this, starting with the issue of whether the temperature of a classical fluid in an Einsten's elevator should actually be uniform with height or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
I'm not at all sure it's accurate though.

That's a wise policy to have with respect to Wikipedia articles. 😉

First, to say the the Rindler horizon is "visible" is a missatement, since by definition no light or any other signal from the horizon can reach an observer above the horizon. At any rate, there is certainly nothing in the standard derivation of the Unruh effect that says anything about where the observer is relative to their Rindler horizon.

Second, the standard derivation of the Unruh effect assumes that the quantum field starts out in the state that an inertial observer would see as the vacuum state. Obviously this condition can't be met if you put something like a "refrigerated accelerating wall" between the observer and their Rindler horizon.

So I would say that the quoted language is indeed not accurate.

For what it's worth, it looks like the most current version of this Wiki article (as of the date of this post) no longer has this confusing language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Unruh_effect&oldid=893878764

What is Unruh radiation?

Unruh radiation is a theoretical concept in quantum field theory that suggests that an accelerating observer in empty space will experience a temperature associated with the acceleration, even though the space is actually empty.

Who first proposed the concept of Unruh radiation?

The concept of Unruh radiation was first proposed by physicist William G. Unruh in 1976.

What is the significance of Unruh radiation?

Unruh radiation is significant because it suggests a connection between acceleration and temperature, which has implications for our understanding of the nature of space and time.

Is there any experimental evidence for Unruh radiation?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for Unruh radiation. However, it is a well-established theoretical concept that has been mathematically proven and has implications for other areas of physics.

How does Unruh radiation relate to Hawking radiation?

Unruh radiation and Hawking radiation are both theoretical concepts that suggest a connection between acceleration and temperature. However, Hawking radiation specifically refers to the radiation emitted by black holes, while Unruh radiation applies to any accelerating observer in empty space.