Calculating Electron Movement in a Television Picture Tube

• Thread starter z_sharp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Television
In summary, the question is asking about the potential difference needed to balance the downward force of gravity on an electron in a television picture tube. To find this, we need to calculate the magnitude of the electric field needed to balance the weight of the electron, which can be found by dividing the weight by the charge of an electron. Then, we can use this value to calculate the voltage over a 20cm gap. To find the charge of an electron, we can refer to a table of physical constants.
z_sharp
Hey all, I'm working on this question for my homework. Can someone please help me get it under control, I read it and all I can say is 'huh'?

In a television picture tube, electrons are accelerated by thousands of volts through a vacuum. If a television set were laid on its back, would electrons be able to move upwards against the force of gravity? What potential difference, acting over a distance of 20 cm, would be needed to balance the downward force of gravity so that the electron would remain stationary? Assume that the electric field is uniform.

Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a voltage difference, there must be an electric field. That field is what accelerates particles, and balances gravity (in your question).

What magnitude electrical field would it take to balance the weight (on earth) of an electron?

What would the voltage be over a 20cm gap with that electric field?

Ok I think I have the right idea here...

Crosson said:
If there is a voltage difference, there must be an electric field. That field is what accelerates particles, and balances gravity (in your question).

What magnitude electrical field would it take to balance the weight (on earth) of an electron?

mg=qE

E = mg/q

What would the voltage be over a 20cm gap with that electric field?

E = V/d

Now I have values for g, m, d. How do I find q, so I can do the first part of the question?

Jchem said:
Now I have values for g, m, d. How do I find q, so I can do the first part of the question?

You look in your table of physical constants to find the charge of an electron.

What is "Wild Television"?

"Wild Television" is a popular nature and wildlife documentary series that showcases various animals, plants, and ecosystems from around the world.

Who produces "Wild Television"?

"Wild Television" is produced by a team of scientists, filmmakers, and researchers who are passionate about educating the public about the wonders of the natural world.

How can I watch "Wild Television"?

"Wild Television" is typically broadcasted on television networks or can be streamed on various online platforms. You can also purchase DVDs or Blu-rays of the series.

What topics are covered in "Wild Television"?

"Wild Television" covers a wide range of topics including animal behavior, conservation efforts, climate change, and the impact of human activities on the natural world.

Are the animals in "Wild Television" treated ethically?

Yes, the production team of "Wild Television" prioritizes ethical treatment of animals and follows strict guidelines to ensure the safety and well-being of the featured animals. They also work closely with conservation organizations to promote ethical practices in wildlife filmmaking.