Will a Bigger Tank Increase Water Force?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gerrywelshman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Water Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
gerrywelshman
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi All,
If I have a tank 1meter dia 5metres height and a tank 200mm dia (1/5 size ) 5metres high
and I have a horizontal tap at the bottom of each. when I open the taps will I get more distance
of water from the bigger tank.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried figuring out the pressure? (Force/ unit area) If the pressures are the same, then you will get the same, if one is larger, it will shoot the water further out of the tap.
 
Hi BiGyElLoWhAt, (some handle that)
I have been interested in a design feature.
Thanks for clarifying a discussion I've had lately .
I had been told the water would shoot out the same distance.
 
That very well may be, but I wouldn't be so sure without making the calculation. If you look at a cross section of the water, then the pressure on the water below it would be the weight of the water above that cross section divided by the area (pi*r^2).

If you're looking at something of the order of 200mm diameter, then the adhesive properties of water would become non-negligible, in my opinion.
 
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Have you tried figuring out the pressure? (Force/ unit area) If the pressures are the same, then you will get the same, if one is larger, it will shoot the water further out of the tap.
That's a helpful answer.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
If you look at a cross section of the water, then the pressure on the water below it would be the weight of the water above that cross section divided by the area (pi*r^2).
And that's not. Pressure in a tank is only dependent on depth, not the size or shape of the tank.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
If you're looking at something of the order of 200mm diameter, then the adhesive properties of water would become non-negligible, in my opinion.
And that's just irrelevant.

Perhaps the best answer is: look up Torricelli's Law.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
MrAnchovy said:
...Pressure in a tank is only dependent on depth, not the size or shape of the tank...
I understand that the cross section divides out from the volume, giving a depth dependent function. My purpose was to get the OP to do the calculation and figure it out. Good Job.
 
Also, adhesion is not irrelevant for small enough containers.
 
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Also, adhesion is not irrelevant for small enough containers.
That's an 8-inch diameter cylinder. Water adhesion might be relevant to the OP's education, but surely not to this application.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BiGyElLoWhAt
DaveC426913 said:
That's an 8-inch diameter cylinder. Water adhesion might be relevant to the OP's education, but surely not to this application.
Very true. Not sure how I grossly underestimated that, but...