How to calculate water from storage tank to small tank?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter karloon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Storage Tank Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
karloon
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a 10,000L water tank (size 3.5m Dia x 1.0 m H) connected to 2 inch pipe (bottom of the tank). How do I calculate the speed/volume of the water flow out from the tank?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could use Torcelli's formula (from conservation of energy) to get v=√(2gh)

and then if you wanted the flow rate you'd use Q=Av where A = cross-sectional area of the pipe.
 
Thank You rock.freak667,

I checked the Torcelli's formula and it helps. However, using this formula. Can I calculate the water flow if it involve more that 1 tank?

For example:
I have "THREE" 10,000L water tank (size 3.5m Dia x 1.0 m H), each connected to 2 inch pipe (bottom of the tank) and share the same main drain pipe (6 inch). All three tank will flow from the 2" pipe to 6" main drain pipe and finally enter a storage tank. Will the flow/speed still be the same and I just change the Q=Av (A- from 2" pipe to 6" pipe) for the water flow?

TQ in advance.
 
If you want the water flow for the 6" drain pipe then you'd have to add the flows together I believe.

However I could be wrong as I've not done fluid related problems in for a few years.