Will a Low Math Score on the General GRE Affect My PhD Program Admissions?

In summary, the person did poorly on the math section of the general GRE with a score of 160 (78%), but did better on the verbal section with a score of 161 (87%). They attribute their low math score to running out of time due to spending too long on some problems. They are concerned about how this will affect their chances for admission into PhD programs, but do not have time to retake the exam. They mention their previous GRE scores from many years ago, but note that those scores are no longer valid. It is difficult to determine the impact of their GRE scores without knowing more information such as the degree they are applying for, the caliber of programs, GPA, and research experience. The conversation also includes an anecd
Ryan007
I know this question has been asked by others before, but:

I did poorly on the math part of the general GRE. I got a 160 (78%). I actually did better on the verbal (161, 87%)! I just ran out of time because I took too long on some problems. I did practice tests and did fine on them, but I guess I choked. How much will this hurt me for admissions into PhD programs? I'm applying right now so I don't have time to retake it. I took the general GRE many years ago and did pretty well (660 V (94%); 800 M (94%)), but of course I can't use scores older than 5 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably depends on many things: the degree you're after, the caliber of programs you're applying to, you're GPA, and research experience. Without knowing any of these things, we cannot help. And even knowing these things, we still cannot say for sure whether your scores are good enough.

Anecdotally, I scored the same math GRE, for similar reasons, however I had good research and a perfect GPA. I received offers from every place that I applied. However, maybe GRE was less important for the programs I applied to compared to, say, a pure physics or math program.

1. What is considered a low general GRE math score?

A low general GRE math score is typically considered to be below the 50th percentile. This means that the test taker scored lower than half of the other test takers.

2. Will a low GRE math score affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?

It depends on the specific program and their requirements. Some programs may place more weight on the math score, while others may focus more on other aspects of the application. It's important to research the specific program's requirements and see if they have a minimum GRE math score requirement.

3. Can I retake the GRE if I have a low math score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you have a low math score. The GRE can be taken multiple times, but there is a limit of 5 attempts within a 12-month period.

4. How can I improve my GRE math score?

There are several ways to improve your GRE math score. One option is to study and review math concepts and practice with GRE math questions. Another option is to seek out a GRE math tutor or take a GRE math prep course. Additionally, practicing time management and test-taking strategies can also help improve your score.

5. Will a low GRE math score affect my chances of getting a job in the science field?

It depends on the specific job and its requirements. Some science-related jobs may require a higher math score, while others may not place as much emphasis on it. It's important to research the job requirements and see if a GRE math score is necessary for the role.