Will a slight change in angle significantly affect distance?

In summary, the conversation discussed the scenario of a laser beam mounted on an airplane and pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the ground. The question was whether a slight change in the airplane's height would significantly alter the location of the beam on the ground. It was also mentioned that the elevation angle, defined as the angle between the plane and the point on the ground where the beam is pointing, is dependent on the airplane's height and can be affected by a change in altitude. The conclusion was that increasing the height of the plane will also increase the distance between the point on the ground directly below the laser and the point where the laser strikes the ground. This change will be more significant at higher altitudes.
Mr.Whatever
Hi!

I was wondering about this topic. The following assumptions are made:

- area is flat and about 70 miles wide from all direction
- ideal airplane only changes in height (roll, azimuth, pitch stay constant).

So here's the scenario:

If a laser beam is mounted on an airplane and is pointed in a 45 degree angle towards the ground (with the right wing of the plane from a cockpit perspective as zero degrees and the angles ascend in a clockwise manner), then would a slight change in the airplane's height significantly alter the location of the beam on the ground?

I was just curious about this topic, and on paper, I'm actually using elevation angle instead of height. The elevation angle is defined as the angle formed between: 1) a line from the plane to the ground directly underneath it and 2) a line from the plane to the point on the ground where the beam is pointing.

I want to know how to calculate the change of the beam's position when this elevationg angle varies by +/- 1 degree.

I know that the elevation angle is dependent on the airplane's height, and that if the airplane was close to the ground then a +/-1 degree change would not really amount to a significant change in position of the beam. But if the plane was, say, 1000 ft in the ground, then this would be a different story.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm a little confused about your definition for elevation angle: from what you've described, it seems that the laser is always pointed at [itex]45^\circ[/itex] towards the ground, and so the elevation angle should always be [itex]45^\circ[/itex] (that would be the angle between a normal to the ground and the laser beam, assuming the ground's flat). I'm sure I've misinterpreted your problem.

However, using the interpretation that stated above, it's easy to see what happens if the airplane rises or lowers. In this case all the angles stay the same; there is a right triangle with [itex]45^\circ[/itex] corner angles and vertices at (a) the point on the ground directly below the laser, (b) the point at which the laser strikes the ground, and (c) the laser.

In that case increasing altitude corresponds to increasing the distance from (a) to (c); furthermore, because of the 45 degree angles the height of the plane (ie. the distance (a) to (c)) is the same as the distance between (b) and (a).

By similar triangles, scaling the height by a factor [itex]\Delta[/itex] will scale all other distances in the same way. So if you increase the height of the plane by 1%, then the distance between the point directly below the plane on the ground and the point where the laser strikes the ground will also increase by 1% (ie. between (b) and (a)). Because the angles are [itex]45^\circ[/itex], in fact increasing the height by a [itex]h[/itex] will also increase the distance on the ground by [itex]h[/itex] (ie. you don't need to worry about any scaling; the increases in altitude is exactly the increase in distance along the ground).

Last edited:
^^ +1 , yes it will and it will change more significantly as you become farther (higher) from the ground. think about it like compound interest * but only if your angles greater than 45 degrees

* these statements have not been evaluated.

1. What is the relationship between angle and distance?

The relationship between angle and distance is known as the trajectory of an object. The angle at which an object is launched affects its initial velocity and therefore its distance traveled.

2. How much of an angle change is considered "slight"?

This can vary depending on the specific situation, but generally a slight change in angle would be considered a change of less than 10 degrees.

3. How does air resistance play a role in the effect of angle on distance?

Air resistance can significantly affect the trajectory of an object. A slight change in angle can result in a larger surface area of the object facing the air resistance, causing it to slow down and travel a shorter distance.

4. Can changing the angle of launch make a significant difference in distance?

Yes, even a slight change in angle can make a significant difference in distance. This is because the angle affects the initial velocity and therefore the overall trajectory of the object.

5. Is there a specific angle that will always result in the maximum distance?

No, the angle that results in the maximum distance will vary depending on factors such as air resistance and the initial velocity of the object. However, there is generally an optimal angle that will result in the maximum distance for a given situation.