Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will intensity of this light become infinity?

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    Dear Friends,

My longtime pending doubt here...!

When we focus a mirror on the wall we get bright spot of the light. Ok.

Now say, there is cube 6" x 6" x 6" whose inner walls are of mirror surfaces and opaque surfaces are the outer surfaces of the cube. In the center of the cube, in the mid space, I install a lamp (say 100W electric bulb).

There are mutiple reflections happening since all the 6 walls are facing each other. Now If I introduce an instrument to measure the intensity or brightness of the light, How much it will be? 2 times, 3 times or 4 times or infinity?

But I feel the answer as the "intensity will be same as that of the light at the given distance". It wont get multipled. Still I want an detailed explaination with convincing reasons. Anybody to explain me please!?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2
    Let's say a mirror reflects x amount of light, x < 1. So we have for two opposite mirrors, for every hop,
    1: 1(light from bulb)
    2: 1(bulb) + x(light from hop 1 reflected by opposite mirror)
    3: 1 + x(from hop 2) + x*x(from hop 1)
    ∞: 1 + x + x*x + x*x*x +... = 1/(1-x)
    this is if I didn't missed anything. the rest of light, ∞ - 1/(1-x), will be consumed by mirrors and eventually melt them. unless they radiate the heat.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. but it is not convincing because the brightness seems function of the wavelength.... even i am also not sure.
  5. Feb 19, 2007 #4
    i mean, x like integral flux reflected in all wavelengthes. oh well.
  6. Feb 19, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

If you could get everything perfect (you can't), the intensity would continuously increase. Real mirrors have reflectivities under 100% and real lights are bigger than a single point and get hot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?