Will Smoking Scenes Trigger an R Rating in Movies?

In summary, the Motion Picture Association of America announced that smoking will now play a bigger role in determining the rating a movie earns. This change may make it more difficult for smokers to enjoy movies with a PG-13 rating, as well as discourage young people from starting smoking.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Directors may want to think twice the next time they want an actor to light up on screen, after the Motion Picture Association of America announced that smoking will now play a bigger role in determining the rating a movie earns.

Similar to sex or violence, the rating would be based on the amount of “glamorized” or “pervasive” smoking seen in a film. [continued]
http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=69586

If smoking scenes will demand an R rating as does violence and sex, then I assume that the person would have to be smoking an entire pack at once, blowing smoke from every orifice in their body, chomping on a bale of chew, and wearing a nicotine suit in order to qualify? :smile:

I tend to think that we have a lot more to worry about from [the entertainment industry] than smoking scenes. How about if they stop killing 100 people an hour or whatever it is that is broadcast to our children daily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I tend to think that we have a lot more to worry about from [the entertainment industry] than smoking scenes. How about if they stop killing 100 people an hour or whatever it is that is broadcast to our children daily.
I know; seriously! We need to go more European on this.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the documentary This Film is not Yet Rated?

Ivan Seeking said:
[I tend to think that we have a lot more to worry about from [the entertainment industry] than smoking scenes. How about if they stop killing 100 people an hour or whatever it is that is broadcast to our children daily.

Defiantly even though it flopped, the movie Ultraviolet seriously had a bad case of cord wood syndrome (the body's were piling up like cord wood) and it only had a PG-13 rating. Well maybe there going along the line of thought that smoking kills.

What idiot came up with this idea, and why does our society allow them to still live?

This is why we need public beatings on the steps of congress. (Rated PG13 -strong scenes of dumbassness)

if your kid is smoking just give them a good smack across the face for every cig they've ever smoked. that will teach them. :-p

This all reminds me of the folks who studied hospital language and decided that "strokes" should be called "brain attacks". Meanwhile, the hospital was short on respirators for babies.

Sometimes a little sense of balance goes a long way.

Related to Will Smoking Scenes Trigger an R Rating in Movies?

1. What does an R rating mean for a movie?

An R rating means that the movie is restricted and only viewers aged 17 and above can watch it. This is due to the presence of adult content, such as violence, nudity, profanity, or drug use.

2. Why do smokey movies often receive an R rating?

Smokey movies often receive an R rating because smoking is considered a form of tobacco use, which is one of the factors that can contribute to an R rating. The use of tobacco in movies is seen as promoting and glamorizing smoking, which may not be suitable for younger viewers.

3. Can a movie with smoking still receive a lower rating?

Yes, a movie with smoking can still receive a lower rating, such as PG-13 or even PG, depending on the context and amount of smoking portrayed. If the smoking is shown in a negative light or is not central to the plot, it may not contribute to a higher rating.

4. Are there any exceptions to the R rating for smokey movies?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the R rating for smokey movies. For example, if the movie is a documentary or educational film about smoking, it may receive a lower rating. Additionally, if the movie is portraying a historical figure who is known for smoking, it may not contribute to a higher rating.

5. How does the rating system for movies with smoking compare to other forms of media?

The rating system for movies with smoking is unique to the film industry and is regulated by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). Other forms of media, such as television and video games, have their own rating systems and may not have the same restrictions on smoking as movies do.

Back