Will someone check my work to see if Im on the right track?

In summary, the conversation is about a collisions and momentum problem involving a 50g bullet fired at a 1.00 kg ballistic pendulum. The question asks for the distance the block rises after being struck by the bullet. The answer involves calculating the impulse and change in momentum, and using the equation v²=u²+2as to solve for the distance. The conversation also mentions that the collision is not elastic, but this does not affect the solution. The final answer is determined to be 5.1m and there are no other missing elements in the solution.
camel-man
This is collisions and momentum problem. for some reason it just seems like a short problem and I am use to doing long problems so I am here to check my work.

the questions is

A 50g bullet is fired vertically up at a 1.00 kg ballistic pendulum . The bullet strikes the block at
1000 m/s and emerges from it at 800 m/s. How far does the block rise? Assume that the
duration of the collision is instantaneous, in other words, during the collision no external forces
were acting on the system

my answer

Impulse given to block=0.050x1000-0.500x800=10=change in the block's momentum=1.00xv→v=10m/s. Using v²=u²+2as with v=0, u=10, a=-g=-9.8, we get 0=100-2x9.8s→s=5.1m.
[The collision isn't elastic but this doesn't matter since we aren't using energy conservation to solve the problem].

Am i missing something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi camel-man! :wink:
camel-man said:
Impulse given to block=0.050x1000-0.500x800=10=change in the block's momentum=1.00xv→v=10m/s. Using v²=u²+2as with v=0, u=10, a=-g=-9.8, we get 0=100-2x9.8s→s=5.1m.
[The collision isn't elastic but this doesn't matter since we aren't using energy conservation to solve the problem].

Am i missing something else?

looks ok to me :smile:

(though that's not how a ballistic pendulum works :confused:)

1. How can I ensure that someone will check my work to make sure I am on the right track?

The best way to ensure that someone will check your work is to ask for feedback or assistance from a trusted colleague or mentor. You can also join a peer review group or seek out a professional editing service.

2. What should I do if I am unsure about my work and need someone to review it?

If you are unsure about your work, it is always a good idea to seek out feedback from someone with expertise in the subject matter. This could be a colleague, professor, or a professional in the field.

3. How can I find someone to check my work?

You can find someone to check your work by reaching out to your network, such as colleagues or professors, or by joining a peer review group. You can also hire a professional editor or seek assistance from online forums or communities.

4. Is it important to have someone check my work before submitting it?

Having someone check your work before submitting it can be beneficial in catching any errors or providing valuable feedback. However, it is ultimately up to you to decide if you feel confident in your work and if you have thoroughly reviewed it yourself.

5. How can I use feedback from someone checking my work to improve?

Feedback from someone checking your work can be valuable in identifying areas for improvement and providing new perspectives. It is important to carefully consider the feedback and use it to make necessary revisions to your work.