Calculating Work Done by Friction in a Circular Track

In summary, the problem involves calculating the work done by friction on a small block sliding in a vertical circle on the inside of a circular track. The normal force exerted on the block by the track is 4.00N at the bottom of the circle and 0.670N at the top. By comparing the difference in energy between the two points, the work done by friction is found to be -0.166J. The mistake in the initial attempt was multiplying by the radius instead of the height in the equation for work.
Treefolk
Calculating Work Done by Friction in a Circular Track (Answered)

Homework Statement

A small block with mass 0.0425kg slides in a vertical circle of radius 0.400m on the inside of a circular track. During one of the revolutions of the block, when the block is at the bottom of its path, the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the block by the track has magnitude 4.00N. In this same revolution, when the block reaches the top of its path, the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the block has magnitude 0.670N.

Homework Equations

W = K2 + U2 - K1 - U1
K=.5*m*v^2
U=mgh
F=ma
a=v^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

The easiest method to approach this problem appeared to be to compare the difference in energy between the two points and solve for W.
At the bottom of the circle:
N = mg + ma = m(g+a) <-- This is from the FBD I drew out, the normal force equates to gravity force + radial acceleration.
4 = .0425(9.81+a)
94.1=9.81+a
a=84.3 <-- Radial acceleration
84.3 = v^2 / .4
33.72 = v^2 <--since my later equation contains v^2 as a variable, I didn't feel I needed to take the square root.

At the top of the circle:
ma = N + mg --> N = ma - mg = m(a-g) <-- Again, FBD. Similar process to above for the work.
.67 = .0425(a-9.81)
15.76 = a-9.81
a = 25.57
v^2 = 25.57(.4)
v^2 = 10.228

Now plugging this into my Work equation (W = (.5mv^2 + mgh - .5mv^2))
W = .0425(.5(10.228) + (9.81*.8) - .5(33.72))
W = .0425(5.114 + 3.924 - 16.86)
W = -.33 J <-- Now this sign on this answer makes sense (frictional force would be negative), but the online homework spat it back as a wrong answer. Does anyone have any insights or hints towards the proper answer?

(The issue I had was a simple work error that I made on paper.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Treefolk said:
Now plugging this into my Work equation (W = (.5mv^2 + mgh - .5mv^2))
W = .0425(.5(10.228) + (9.81*.8) - .5(33.72))
W = .0425(5.114 + 3.924 - 16.86)
W = -.33 J <-- Now this sign on this answer makes sense (frictional force would be negative), but the online homework spat it back as a wrong answer. Does anyone have any insights or hints towards the proper answer?

Could this perhaps be the issue 9,81*0,8=7,848?

Last edited:
That's exactly my issue. I was multiplying by the radius, not the height.
Much appreciated!

(For reference, the correct answer is -.166J)

1. What is the formula for calculating work done by friction in a circular track?

The formula for calculating work done by friction in a circular track is W = μmgΔs, where W is the work done, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and Δs is the distance traveled.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction for a circular track?

The coefficient of friction for a circular track can be determined by measuring the radius and speed of the object, and using the formula μ = v^2/r*g, where μ is the coefficient of friction, v is the speed of the object, r is the radius of the track, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the work done by friction in a circular track be negative?

Yes, the work done by friction in a circular track can be negative if the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This means that the friction is slowing down the object and work is being done against the motion.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the work done by friction in a circular track?

The mass of the object affects the work done by friction in a circular track because the greater the mass, the greater the force of friction. This means that a heavier object will require more work to be done to overcome the friction and maintain a constant speed on the track.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating work done by friction in a circular track?

The accuracy of calculating work done by friction in a circular track can be affected by factors such as surface roughness, air resistance, and the presence of other external forces. Additionally, any errors in measuring the radius or speed of the object can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.