Will the voltage or potential difference change?

In summary: The leaves on the electroscope will become more negative because there are more negative electrons than positive ones on the Electroscope.
MIA6
1. A positive charged rod is held near, but does not touch a neutral electroscope. The charge on the knob becomes
1) positive and the leaves become positive 2) positive and the leaves become negative.
3) - and the leaves become + 4) - and the leaves become -.
I chose 1), but it's wrong. I am not really familiar with electroscope and how they work.

2. There are two positive charged spheres, A and B (A is at the left, B is at the right), 3 meters apart. There is a point x left to the A. If sphere A is moved toward sphere B, the electirc field intensity at point x will
1) decrease 2) increase 3) remain the same
I chose 2) since E=V/d, so when d decreases, E increases. But the answer is 1), so I am wondering if the voltage changes as well? so in general, If there is a change in distance between two charges, will the voltage or potential difference change? if not, then what will affect the potential difference?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

MIA6 said:
1. A positive charged rod is held near, but does not touch a neutral electroscope. The charge on the knob becomes
1) positive and the leaves become positive 2) positive and the leaves become negative.
3) - and the leaves become + 4) - and the leaves become -.
I chose 1), but it's wrong. I am not really familiar with electroscope and how they work.
What happens to the electrons in the knob when the positive charge is brought close to them?

The point x is to the left of sphere A...so how does d between sphere A and point x change as sphere A moves towards sphere B?

Hootenanny said:
What happens to the electrons in the knob when the positive charge is brought close to them?

Then there is a redistribution of charge within the object? like the electrons will get to the side where the positive charge is brought to. But then will it stay neutral, and how about the leaves?

fizikx said:
The point x is to the left of sphere A...so how does d between sphere A and point x change as sphere A moves towards sphere B?

d between sphere A and point x will also change when A moves toward B because then A is going far away from point x.

MIA6 said:
Then there is a redistribution of charge within the object? like the electrons will get to the side where the positive charge is brought to.
Correct :approve:
MIA6 said:
But then will it stay neutral, and how about the leaves?
Overall, the object is still neutral since there is still the same amount of positive and negative charge on the object. However, if some of the electrons move towards the knob as you correctly say, this means that on the knob there will be more [negative] electrons than [positive] lattice ions; hence the knob will have a net negative charge.

Do you follow?

Hootenanny said:
Correct :approve:

Overall, the object is still neutral since there is still the same amount of positive and negative charge on the object. However, if some of the electrons move towards the knob as you correctly say, this means that on the knob there will be more [negative] electrons than [positive] lattice ions; hence the knob will have a net negative charge.

Do you follow?

yes, then what about the leaves?

MIA6 said:
yes, then what about the leaves?
These electrons the move towards the knob, where do you suppose they come from?

1. Will the voltage change if the resistance is increased?

Yes, according to Ohm's Law, the voltage (V) is directly proportional to the current (I) and resistance (R), so if the resistance is increased, the voltage will also increase.

2. Will the voltage change if the current is increased?

Yes, according to Ohm's Law, the voltage (V) is directly proportional to the current (I) and resistance (R), so if the current is increased, the voltage will also increase.

3. Will the voltage change if the circuit is opened?

Yes, if the circuit is opened, the voltage will decrease to zero because there is no longer a complete path for the electrons to flow.

4. Will the voltage change if the circuit is shorted?

Yes, if the circuit is shorted, the voltage will decrease because all of the current will flow through the short instead of going through the entire circuit.

5. Will the voltage change if the battery is replaced with a higher voltage battery?

Yes, if the battery is replaced with a higher voltage battery, the voltage will increase because the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery will be greater.