1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Will there be a reaction at the hinge B in this question?

1. Apr 9, 2017 #1
    I have solved this question by completely disregarding the reaction at the hinge B. And surprisingly, answer turns out to be correct. Why is that so?

Attached Files:

• FM.png
      FM.png
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Half the weight of AB is on B (AB doesn't rotate or move) and that gives you the ##13\over2##.

For the second part I'm too lazy to work it out (you did that already); if you post your work, I (or someone else) may comment (e.g: "it doesn't matter" or "it's a numerical coincidence") :smile:

4. Apr 9, 2017 #3
    How do we know that half of AB's weight is on B?

5. Apr 10, 2017 #4
    You have 6 scalar unknowns: two components of each reaction force at the points A,B,C. You also have three equations of statics for each rod. I wish you good luck

6. Apr 10, 2017 #5
    But Reaction at B isn't playing a role. Just explain it to me that whether is that a coincidence or there's some solid logic behind?

7. Apr 11, 2017 #6
    How can I explain if you already know what plays role here and what does not? :)

8. Apr 11, 2017 #7

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This should be posted in a homework forum, with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook