Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will this guy kill himself

1. Sep 29, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

He later adds that he decided to move to 200-500kv

Should I be concerned about this persons safety?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2005 #2
    judging from his spelling alone I'd say he's already too far gone. Say your goodbyes.

4. Sep 29, 2005 #3
    Are we witnessing a Darwin Award in the making?

5. Sep 29, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We all do realize that this guy is actually attempting to do this right?

What is going to happen and how can i... convince him of what is going to happen.

6. Sep 29, 2005 #5
    Is there a correlation between bad spelling/grammar and poor reasoning abilities?

I hope not.....If so then I should already be dead.. :yuck:

7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    Are you sure this isn't a joke?

8. Sep 29, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Nope, this is not a joke.

I'm pretty sure the forum is full of stupid kids with too much money and no konwledge of anything and he's one of them.

9. Sep 29, 2005 #8
    Have you asked him if he has any idea what effect it may have on him? If his answer is no then I would say he shouldn't be doing it even if it wont hurt him because if he does it wrong then it may very well hurt him.

10. Sep 29, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

He cited some website that looks like a page where you would find instructions on how to make cold fusion or antimatter with a toothbrush and a burrito that said "this is safe!"

11. Sep 29, 2005 #10
    I say you need to find him and give him a labotomy to help save him from himself.

12. Sep 29, 2005 #11
    :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

A toothbrush and a burrito eh? :rolleyes:

If physics were that simplistic, we'd all have our doctorates now...

13. Sep 29, 2005 #12
    He may shock the begeezes out of himself on the high voltage, but with the low miiliamp current it should't be deadly. :smile: This is not garanteed advice.

The only thing that I am sure of is that he won't move enough air for ventilation.

14. Sep 29, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Can anyone verify this.

To clarify, I mean if (if this guy really doesn't know what he's doing) this guy screws up the circuit or touches what he shouldn't touch, will that 200-500kv voltage be deadly? A quick calculation showed at the least, .1 A traveling through him (using 5M ohm resistance which is somewhat generous for a human i believe) which is far beyond the deadly range.

What kinda risks are involved here. How far is this from russian roulette lol

15. Sep 29, 2005 #14
    I would say pretty close, especially using old TV transformers for the power supply. He would need a lot of electronics to cut the amperage down to a safe level.

0.005 A 50 V 5 V 0.25 W Maximum current which would
    be harmless

Seriously the voltage he is talking about can cause the heart to fibrilate and stop beating.

16. Sep 29, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww, you must be mellowing. Usually your reaction to reading something like that is that if he's dumb enough to do it, he deserves whatever happens. Nice to know you've got a soft spot somewhere in that heart of yours. :wink: :biggrin:

17. Sep 29, 2005 #16
    I would like to see more people die from their mistakes.... :devil:

18. Sep 29, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

These people scare me. At som epoint, these people will be released into society where they could be doing important things that concern me like flying an airplane while im on or driving near me or bagging my groceries.

19. Sep 29, 2005 #18
    That might help with overpopulation :smile: Then again we would be left without a government. :rofl:

20. Sep 29, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

or we would need a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch larger secret service

21. Sep 29, 2005 #20
    Yes, but they are mostly likely to kill you by crashing into you on the street...especially if they are driving a monster sized SUV... :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?