Will this power supply work for my device?

In summary, the power supply will work for the device, but is not enough to run the refrigerator and may not last long due to the high electric power consumption.
Haseo34
Will this power supply work for my device? URGENT!

I have a Mini-fridge I need to get usable again. Recently, as of a few minutes ago, I opened up its power adapter to find that capacitors have burst and that would be the reason of the fridges death a few months ago.
Given the mini-fridge is literally a foot or so tall.. keep that in mind. these are the original specs of the adapter

Original:
INPUT: 120V AC 60hz 1.2A
OUTPUT: 12V DC 5000 mA Max

Now, i have the new adapter that I spliced with the old connection (I'm sure this will work, done things before, end is pretty simple, trust me)

INPUT: 100-250V AC 50/60Hz, 0.5A
OUTPUT: 12v 2A
5V 2ASo all and all, will this work?

Oh, might I add, the adapter currently works on the fridge..But, Is it safe? Does it all sound accurate?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

What's the electric power consumption listed on the fridge?

The fridge is small, and more or less has no information on it all all.

Could you at least provide the manufacturer and/or model so we can look up specs online?

If it blew a 5A supply I doubt a 2A supply will last long. Even if it does not draw 2A during operation there could be start up surges much higher.

I would not recommend using the 2A supply.

Haha, I would most definitely love to post up the manufacturer. But It is so offbrand or something odd, that I can't even give that. I got this from a friend about a year ago, and it finally died a month ago..

Then, this:
Integral said:
If it blew a 5A supply I doubt a 2A supply will last long. Even if it does not draw 2A during operation there could be start up surges much higher.

I would not recommend using the 2A supply.

You could put a 2 amp fuse in line to make sure you don't blow up the new power supply and possibly cause a fire.
If that blows, the power supply was in danger.

24 watts doesn't sound like enough to run any kind of refrigerator.

I was looking on ebay recently and mini fridges aren't that pricey. A replacement PSU may well be a substantial fraction of the cost of a whole new setup.
And cold beer / coke is verrry important.

1. Can I use this power supply for my device?

It depends on the power requirements of your device and the specifications of the power supply. Make sure the voltage, current, and polarity of the power supply match the requirements of your device.

2. What is the maximum power output of this power supply?

The maximum power output of a power supply is typically listed in watts (W) or volts-amps (VA). Make sure the power supply can provide enough power for your device without exceeding its maximum output.

3. Is this power supply compatible with my device's plug type?

Most power supplies come with a variety of interchangeable plugs, but it's important to check if the power supply has a plug that fits your device. If not, you may need to purchase an adapter.

4. Can I use this power supply with multiple devices at once?

It's generally not recommended to use one power supply for multiple devices unless it is specifically designed for that purpose. Using a power supply with a higher current or voltage output than your devices require can damage them.

5. How do I know if the voltage and current of the power supply are suitable for my device?

You can usually find the required voltage and current for your device in the user manual or on the device itself. Make sure the voltage and current of the power supply match or are within the range of your device's requirements.