Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will Windows XP prgram be compatible to Vista?

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1
    I want to purchase Mathematica (student version), but I plan on upgrading my OS to Windows Vista once it is released. If I buy the program for Windows XP will it work on Vista? Are operating systems backward compatible like that?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2
    I tried to contact the company that makes Mathematica but I can't figure out how to get ahold of them. I also tried to contact Microsoft, but they charge money to ask them questions!

4. Jan 7, 2006 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yes it will be compatabilty. Don't worry about it.

5. Jan 7, 2006 #4
    Are you saying that so that I will buy it and then it won't be compatible and you can laugh at me?

6. Jan 7, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm sure that's exactly what he's doing :uhh:

If you'll notice almost any PC application you purchase at the store, it'll have something like "Compatible Operationg systems:" and most now-a-days will says "98/XP/2000". Some will even be compatible with Windows 95 and many many more are now saying they are compatible with Linux. So version compatibility is never really an issue unless you're using a windows 95 program or NT 4.0

7. Jan 7, 2006 #6
    It will be most likely compatible unless Steve Balmer goes balmy again.

BTW, why Mathematica, hwy not Matlab?

8. Jan 7, 2006 #7
    xp is backwards compatible to previous versions, so will vista.. Plus Vista is built on the same NT technology as xp/2k

9. Jan 7, 2006 #8
    Is Matlab better? I started a thread early this morning about which program I should buy.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=106031

10. Jan 7, 2006 #9

-Job-

Science Advisor

I think the 64-bit version of Vista may generate some incompatibility with programs, at least when i was looking into XP 64-bit that's what i found out.

11. Jan 7, 2006 #10
    Why doesn't Microsoft advertise that their OS's are backward compatible? That seems like a big selling point to me.

12. Jan 7, 2006 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

They aren't stupid. They have to make it backwards compatible or no one would upgrade.

Again, don't worry about it. The software you buy now will work on Vista 32bit edition.

13. Jan 7, 2006 #12
    I have a very strong feeling that you are trying to sabatoge me dduardo. I don't know if I can believe you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  14. Jan 7, 2006 #13
    I don't know. I just asked 'coz I was curious. On the other hand, I tried the Mathematica trial version. I liked the programming capabilities but the graph making capabilities didn't appeal to me. Too text based.
    I haven' tried Matlab.

15. Jan 7, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Most people don't even know what "compatibility" is. It's as if Ford advertised that its new 2006 F-150 was backwards compatible with 2005 F-150 gasoline :confused: Compatibility is just an assumed thing... hell Ford could sneak in a diesel engine and the public wouldn't konw until they purchased their gasoline and the engine sucked.

16. Jan 8, 2006 #15
    Look even if it wont work on Vista, natively, Vista HAS BUILT INTO IT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILTY, you can run application compiled for previous versions of Windows in a backwards compatabile enviroment...

?????? Are you mad or something?

17. Jan 8, 2006 #16
    I am not mad, I just know that dduardo can't stand me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?