Will you support this? If not, why not?

• Thread starter CureBlindness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, there is a massive problem of blindness in the world, which greatly impacts the ability to learn and have foresight. However, a project is underway to mimic the behavior of the brain and potentially increase intelligence. While this may have potential benefits, it may not have a significant impact on blindness caused by genetic or physical factors.
CureBlindness
Here is what I have noticed from my experience.

There is an unbelievably massive problem in the world. Blindness.

Read this, what I think is part of the life experience of the unskilled:

People who suffer from blindness are relegated to the superfluous.
They struggle to really learn anything. Also these people can operate with next to no foresight which can cause various sets of crisis over one's lifetime... imagine being totally
oblivious to the actual fact that one is inside crisis. Now imagine that an overwhelming proportion of the population is inside this category. Are you going to let
this continue?

Here, the answer I found to help solve this:

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biotech/19767/

What I noticed:
After reading this you might notice that 35 researchers
were working on this and the information was built up gradually. Imagine many more researchers devoted to this task. We would have a speed similar to the Human
Genome Project which was completed in 15 years. Competition, due to Craig Venter helped there to speed up progress. Imagine setting up a similar race except with
neuroscience. We could set these people free within their lifetime! Now these people can learn from experience and can face new problems by themselves.

So if you are in any position of authority or are lucky enough to be listened to, shout and spread the word. Lobby people in power, people in science and help
end this undeserved life experience for good.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish them luck, but I do not see how this applies to blindness (you should focus on eye research, not brain research).
Their statements are overoptimistic and remind me of AI in the 1960s.
Regardless, it is an amazing project.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thousands of people are going blind every day because of lack of nutrients in their food (exclusively white rice).

I'm talking about not being smart when I refer to blindness. My experience has been
that you have to keep shouting people's ears for them to wake up...and then this
struck me.

There are many reasons people lose their eyesight. The article you linked to doesn't even mention eyesight. I don't get what this crisis is you are referring to.

Blind people can read and write (braille), play musical insturments. They are employed in many fields.

By mimicking the behavior of the brain down to the individual neuron, the researchers aim to create a modeling tool that can be used by neuroscientists to run experiments, test hypotheses, and analyze the effects of drugs more efficiently than they could using real brain tissue.

CureBlindness said:
I'm talking about not being smart when I refer to blindness.
So you're not referring to blind people but to unintelligent people?

You think this is something to do with increasing intelligence??

yes. Sorry I should have been clear.

while it is not specifically mentioned in the article, it seems easy to think that this type of research can help with boosting intelligence.

Two of my (step) nieces and a nephew (siblings) are blind due to RP. It's hereditary. While I would like nothing more than to see them cured, brain analysis would be worthless to them. The problem is in the retinae, not the visual corteces or neurological pathways.
Any other blind people that I've known became that way due to physical injury to the eyes themselves.
I'm all for learning all that can be learned about the brain, but I seriously doubt that this project will have any significant impact upon blindness.

CureBlindness said:
yes. Sorry I should have been clear.

while it is not specifically mentioned in the article, it seems easy to think that this type of research can help with boosting intelligence.
Thread closed.

1. What is the purpose of this project and how will it benefit society?

The purpose of this project is to [insert purpose here]. This project aims to benefit society by [insert potential benefits here].

2. What evidence do you have to support the success of this project?

We have conducted [insert number] of experiments and studies to support the potential success of this project. We have also reviewed and analyzed data from similar projects and have consulted with experts in the field.

3. What is the timeline for this project and when can we expect to see results?

The timeline for this project will depend on various factors such as funding, resources, and any potential obstacles. However, we aim to complete this project within [insert timeline here] and anticipate seeing results [insert expected time of results here].

4. How will you address any potential ethical concerns related to this project?

We take ethical concerns very seriously and will adhere to all ethical guidelines and regulations in our research. We have also consulted with ethical experts and will continue to monitor and address any potential concerns that may arise.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with this project and how will you mitigate them?

As with any scientific project, there may be potential risks involved. We have conducted thorough risk assessments and have measures in place to mitigate any potential risks. We will also continuously monitor and address any potential risks that may arise throughout the course of this project.