Wind blowing in face when driving

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the wind blowing on you as you drive with the window down feels cool because it is convecting, and the temperature should be the same as stagnant air if you weren't driving.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Why does the wind blowing on you as you drive with the window down feel cool? It's temperature should be the same as stagnant air if I wasn't driving.

My guess is that it has to do with convection because the air has a velocity relative to the driver and there is a heat transfer coefficient of convection.

Is this the right explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your body transfers heat to the environment by conduction (as long as the air temperature is below your skin temperature ) and by phase change of the sweat liquid into vapour. With a movement of air, both processes become more efficient.

Note that "conduction" of heat to moving air has its own name: convection.

I have driven in 100+ temperatures on the I-5 where the breeze coming in the window was just as hot and uncomfortable as the still air.

Humans detect the rate of cooling of their skin and often confuse it for absolute temperature, and a breeze removes heat based on the difference in temps between skin and the air molecules, so I imagine once temperatures are hot enough, you're not really cooling at a significant rate even when the air is moving, because the air is hotter than your skin.

Pythagorean said:
I have driven in 100+ temperatures on the I-5 where the breeze coming in the window was just as hot and uncomfortable as the still air.

Humans detect the rate of cooling of their skin and often confuse it for absolute temperature, and a breeze removes heat based on the difference in temps between skin and the air molecules, so I imagine once temperatures are hot enough, you're not really cooling at a significant rate even when the air is moving, because the air is hotter than your skin.
Yes. This is right. But, you also get some small cooling effect from enhanced evaporation rate, provided the absolute humidity of the bulk air is not higher than the absolute humidity of the air at the very surface of your skin.

Chet

The term you guys are looking for is "wet bulb temperature". When the outside wet bulb temperature exceeds body temperature, the air starts to heat you instead of cooling you.

By WBT measurement, Philadelphia is hotter than Phoenix. Yes, it really is about the humidity, not the heat.

It's not just about humidity. Humans have a strange sense of hot and cold. There is a trick you can do involving putting both hands into a bucket of water. With the right prep one hand tells you the water is hot and the other that it's cold. The human body is typically warmer than and looses heat to it's surroundings. If you change the rate at which heat is lost you can be fooled into thinking it's hotter or colder when it isn't really.

Clothes also trap heat and in a wind that effect can be disrupted.

I think of humidity as a modulator on the driving force (the temp differential). Obviously temperature gradient is the dominant factor; having lived across conditions ranging 140 degrees Farenheit, I can tell you that no amount of moisture difference makes -40 F feel like 100 F or vice versa. But moisture certainly can make 80 feel like 90, so in certain parts of the world, it makes a huge difference to comfort.

1. Why does wind blow in my face when I'm driving?

When driving, your car creates a low-pressure area behind it as it moves forward. This low-pressure area causes air from the sides to rush in and fill the space, creating wind. This wind is then directed towards the front of the car, often blowing in the driver's face.

2. Is it dangerous to have wind blowing in my face while driving?

Having wind blow in your face while driving is not necessarily dangerous, but it can be distracting and uncomfortable. It may also cause your eyes to dry out, which can affect your visibility. To avoid this, you can adjust your car's air vents or wear sunglasses while driving.

3. Can I prevent wind from blowing in my face while driving?

Some cars have adjustable air vents that can help direct the wind away from your face. If your car does not have this feature, you can also try adjusting your seat position to create a better angle for the wind to pass over your head rather than hitting you directly in the face.

4. Does the speed of my car affect the intensity of the wind blowing in my face?

Yes, the speed of your car directly affects the intensity of the wind blowing in your face. The faster you drive, the more wind resistance you will experience, resulting in stronger winds blowing in your face. This is why you may feel more wind in your face when driving on the highway compared to driving on a local street.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when driving with wind blowing in my face?

If you are driving with wind blowing in your face, it is important to make sure your visibility is not affected. Adjust your mirrors and windshield wipers if needed, and keep your eyes hydrated by blinking frequently. If the wind becomes too distracting, it is best to pull over and take a break until the wind subsides.