Do You Feel Air Resistance at 120 mph?

In summary, air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air, caused by the interaction between the object and air particles. It increases as the speed of an object increases and becomes noticeable at relatively low speeds. Air resistance affects objects differently depending on their size, shape, and surface area, with smaller and more streamlined objects experiencing less air resistance. At 120 mph, air resistance has a significant impact on an object's motion, creating a force in the opposite direction and making it more difficult to maintain or increase speed, requiring more energy for cars and airplanes to maintain high speeds.
rob2791
Me and my friend were traveling in the car and started thinking. Say your traveling 60 mph north and there was a head wind traveling 60 mph north. When you stick your hand out the window, do you feel air resistance?
Thanks for your response,
Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean a tail wind, and in that case you wouldn't feel a wind. There woudl be a small amount of wind generated by the rotating tires.

I can tell you that yes, you would definitely feel air resistance at 120 mph. Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object. At high speeds, such as 120 mph, the force of air resistance becomes more significant and can be felt more strongly.

In the scenario you described, traveling at 60 mph north with a headwind also traveling at 60 mph north, the air resistance would be even greater. This is because the relative speed between the car and the air is now 120 mph, doubling the force of air resistance. This is similar to how walking into a strong headwind feels more difficult than walking with a tailwind.

When you stick your hand out the window, it is experiencing the force of air resistance. This can be felt as a push against your hand. The faster you are traveling, the stronger the force of air resistance will be. In fact, at very high speeds, air resistance can become quite dangerous and can cause objects to experience significant drag forces.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep asking questions and thinking about the world around you - that's the mark of a true scientist.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the interaction between the moving object and the air particles.

How does air resistance affect the speed of an object?

Air resistance increases as the speed of an object increases. This means that the faster an object is moving, the more air resistance it will experience.

At what speed does air resistance become noticeable?

Air resistance becomes noticeable at relatively low speeds, usually around 30-40 mph. However, the amount of air resistance an object experiences will depend on its size, shape, and surface area.

Does air resistance affect all objects equally?

No, air resistance affects objects differently depending on their size, shape, and surface area. For example, a smaller and more streamlined object will experience less air resistance compared to a larger and more irregularly shaped object.

How does air resistance impact the motion of an object at 120 mph?

At 120 mph, air resistance will have a significant impact on the motion of an object. It will create a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult to maintain or increase its speed. This is why cars and airplanes require more energy to maintain high speeds.