Wing Aspect Ratio (Newbie to Aerodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tailless aircraft with a delta wing. The question is to show that the aerodynamic mean chord of the wing is two-thirds of its root chord and that for this wing it is 5.73m. The conversation also includes a discussion about the wing's aspect ratio and the equation needed to solve the problem. There is some confusion about the relationship between the wingspan and the mean chord, but it is clarified that the wing can still be considered a delta even if the wingspan is equal to the mean chord.
t.kennedy

Homework Statement

A tailless aircraft of 9072kg mass has a delta wing with aspect ratio 1 and area 37m2. Show that the aerodynamic mean chord of a delta wing,
[itex]\frac{\int_0^{b/2} c^2 dy}{\int_0^{b/2} c\ dy}[/itex]
is two-thirds of its root chord and that for this wing it is 5.73m.

Homework Equations

[itex]AR= \frac{b}{\bar{c}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1.
[itex]AR= \frac{b}{\bar{c}}=1[/itex]
[itex]b= \bar{c}[/itex]
I don't get it. If the wingspan equals to the mean chord then it won't be delta wing anymore, wouldn't it?
220px-Wing_tailless_delta.svg.png

As you can see the root chord is smaller than the tip chord hence [itex]\bar{c}[/itex] must be smaller than b/2. Where do I get myself wrong?

Problem 2

How do I find the equation for c to solve this integral? Is there any of other way? I know the bottom integral is the area of one wing but I don't know the other one.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wingspan equals to the mean chord then it won't be delta wing anymore, wouldn't it?

I can't help with the rest of the problem but if I don't see a problem with the wingspan being equal to the mean chord. The plan form won't be an equilateral triangle but it would still be a triangle and classed as a delta.

1. What is wing aspect ratio?

Wing aspect ratio is the ratio of the wingspan to the average chord (width) of the wing. It is an important parameter in aerodynamics as it affects the lift and drag characteristics of the wing.

2. How does wing aspect ratio affect lift and drag?

A higher aspect ratio generally results in higher lift and lower drag, while a lower aspect ratio results in lower lift and higher drag. This is because a higher aspect ratio wing has a longer span, allowing for more efficient lift generation and less induced drag.

3. What is a good wing aspect ratio?

The optimal wing aspect ratio depends on the specific design requirements and constraints. In general, for subsonic aircraft, a higher aspect ratio (around 8-12) is desirable for better fuel efficiency, while for supersonic aircraft, a lower aspect ratio (around 2-4) is preferred for better maneuverability.

4. How does wing aspect ratio affect stability?

A higher aspect ratio wing tends to be more stable, as it has a larger wing span and therefore a larger moment arm for stability. However, other factors such as wing sweep and center of gravity also play a role in determining the stability of an aircraft.

5. Can wing aspect ratio be changed after the wing is built?

No, the wing aspect ratio is determined by the wing design and cannot be easily changed after the wing is built. Any modifications to the wing would require significant structural changes and may affect the overall aerodynamic performance of the aircraft.