Wire and resistor in parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of current through a resistor in a simple circuit diagram when it is in parallel with a "normal" looking wire. The current through the resistor is determined to be very small due to the small voltage drop across the wire. The resistance of two resistors in parallel is also discussed, with the conclusion that it would be very small when one of the resistors has a near-zero resistance. The conversation also includes an example problem where the voltage drop across a resistor is calculated to be 20 V, but the battery is only 5 V, leading to the conclusion that the wire has a near-zero resistance. The conversation ends with the successful solution to the problem and gratitude for the help provided.
joel amos
Member warned about lack of template
If a "normal" looking wire and a resistor are in parallel on a simple circuit diagram, will any current pass through the resistor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, E/R. It's going to be a very small current since the voltage drop across the wire is going to be very small.

For the purpose of the problem, do you think the current through the resistor would be considered negligible?

You haven't included a problem statement? I've no way of knowing.

Bystander said:
You haven't included a problem statement? I've no way of knowing.
8zmur8.png

No difference. You'll want to recalculate R1 it that's actually a "140" I'm reading. As far as the short circuit around R2 for this problem, yes, call it zero.

I'm attempting this by finding the voltage drops at the two known resistors. However, R2 has a voltage drop of .02 A (1,000 Ω) = 20 V. How is this possible, as the battery is only 5 V?

The wire has a nearly zero resistance. It is in parallel with R2. What is the resistance of two resistors in parallel? When one is the next thing to zero?

Bystander said:
The wire has a nearly zero resistance.

Ooo. I thought we'd established that the current through the wire was nearly 0.

Bystander said:
What is the resistance of two resistors in parallel? When one is the next thing to zero?

I'd say that the resistance would be very small.

joel amos said:
very small.
Yes. Sorry, I thought you'd picked up that the wire is carrying nearly all the current, and that the current through the resistor would be just whatever it carries for the very small voltage drop across that length of wire.

I got 130 Ω after solving the following equation for R1:
3.5 V = .02 A (120 Ω + R1)

That's good.

Bystander said:
That's good.

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

What is the purpose of wiring and resistors in parallel?

Wiring and resistors in parallel are used to divide the current in a circuit and reduce the overall resistance. This allows for a more even distribution of electricity and can be useful in controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit.

How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit with wires and resistors in parallel?

The equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit is calculated by taking the reciprocal of each individual resistance and adding them together. The reciprocal of the total sum is then taken to find the equivalent resistance. This can be represented by the equation 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

What happens to the voltage in a parallel circuit with wires and resistors?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains constant across all branches. This means that each resistor will have the same voltage drop as the source voltage.

How does the current behave in a parallel circuit with wires and resistors?

The current in a parallel circuit is divided among the different branches based on the resistance of each branch. This means that the total current entering the circuit will be equal to the sum of the currents in each individual branch.

What are some common applications of parallel wiring and resistors?

Parallel wiring and resistors are commonly used in household wiring, electric circuits, and electronic devices. They are also used in lighting systems, where multiple bulbs are connected in parallel to ensure that if one bulb burns out, the others will still remain lit.