Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wireless problem

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    What type of wireless medium should I use when I want to send information(measurements) from a measuring device to a receiver?

I was thinking of using bluetooth but the receiver has to be as portable as possible. Help pls?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    It depends very much of the distance and the data you want to communicate. Bluetooth can be used, but I don´t know much about this technology.

Maybe you can try using a Zigbee module, but it is a proprietary protocol, is an economical alternative in hardware and energy consumption. A alternative if yhou are using microchip products is the MiWi, which is a derivation of zigbee and can be used in simple microcontrollers free.

The loss of connection can be a problem. Usually eletrical meters use a comunication protocol that do not have confirmation of receipt of the frame.

Best regards.

Carlos Dutra

4. May 4, 2010 #3
    jednified, there are a lot of wireless modules available that you can use to transfer data, but some work better than others. As carlos suggested, it really depends on the range and how the data you are transmitting, as well as your experience with wireless. Since you are asking this question, I assume you are fairly new to the wireless world. Bluetooth usually transmit very far (like 20m), but it has a lot of bandwidth. Zigbee modules can transmit much farther (like 5km), but can't transmit as much data. Search online for wireless modules. In my experience, you really get what you pay for. There are a lot of cheap modules available, but you'll end up with a lot of grief too. I've used xBee modules and they work well if there isnt much interference. If you need something reliable and very easy, I would suggest databridge modules from starman electric. These modules can pretty much be treated like a wire. Several other solutions exist, but it will be a learning experience, and you have to figure out how to program or configure them. Just my 2 cents...

- Kast

5. May 4, 2010 #4
    Ive been researching for some wireless alternatives and read that RFID is a good option too. I only need about 5 meter range. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook