Wireless Solutions: Sending Measurements from Device to Receiver

• Thread starter jednified
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, Carlos suggested using RFID, while Kast said Bluetooth is a good option for portability and range, and Starman Electric said databridge modules are reliable and easy to use.
jednified
What type of wireless medium should I use when I want to send information(measurements) from a measuring device to a receiver?

I was thinking of using bluetooth but the receiver has to be as portable as possible. Help pls?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends very much of the distance and the data you want to communicate. Bluetooth can be used, but I don´t know much about this technology.

Maybe you can try using a Zigbee module, but it is a proprietary protocol, is an economical alternative in hardware and energy consumption. A alternative if yhou are using microchip products is the MiWi, which is a derivation of zigbee and can be used in simple microcontrollers free.

The loss of connection can be a problem. Usually electrical meters use a comunication protocol that do not have confirmation of receipt of the frame.

Best regards.

Carlos Dutra

jednified, there are a lot of wireless modules available that you can use to transfer data, but some work better than others. As carlos suggested, it really depends on the range and how the data you are transmitting, as well as your experience with wireless. Since you are asking this question, I assume you are fairly new to the wireless world. Bluetooth usually transmit very far (like 20m), but it has a lot of bandwidth. Zigbee modules can transmit much farther (like 5km), but can't transmit as much data. Search online for wireless modules. In my experience, you really get what you pay for. There are a lot of cheap modules available, but you'll end up with a lot of grief too. I've used xBee modules and they work well if there isn't much interference. If you need something reliable and very easy, I would suggest databridge modules from starman electric. These modules can pretty much be treated like a wire. Several other solutions exist, but it will be a learning experience, and you have to figure out how to program or configure them. Just my 2 cents...

- Kast

Ive been researching for some wireless alternatives and read that RFID is a good option too. I only need about 5 meter range. Thanks for the ideas guys.

1. How do wireless solutions work for sending measurements from a device to a receiver?

Wireless solutions for sending measurements from a device to a receiver typically involve using a wireless communication protocol, such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, to transmit data between the two devices. The device with the measurement sensors collects the data and then sends it wirelessly to the receiver, which can then display or store the measurements.

2. What types of measurements can be sent using wireless solutions?

Wireless solutions can be used to send a wide range of measurements, including temperature, humidity, pressure, distance, and more. As long as the device has sensors that can collect the measurement data, it can be sent wirelessly to a receiver.

3. Are there any limitations to using wireless solutions for sending measurements?

While wireless solutions offer convenience and flexibility, there are some limitations to consider. The range of wireless communication may be limited, so the device and receiver need to be within a certain distance of each other. Additionally, interference from other electronic devices or physical barriers can affect the reliability of the wireless transmission.

4. How secure are wireless solutions for sending measurements?

The security of wireless solutions for sending measurements depends on the specific protocol being used. Some protocols have built-in security measures, such as encryption, to protect the data being transmitted. It is important to carefully select a wireless solution with appropriate security features for your specific needs.

5. Can wireless solutions be integrated with other systems or devices?

Yes, wireless solutions can often be integrated with other systems or devices to create a more comprehensive measurement or monitoring system. This can be done through software or hardware integration, depending on the specific devices and protocols being used. It is important to ensure compatibility and proper communication between all integrated components.