With ME under my belt, I have 3 options

In summary: You don't need to do research in order to be a successful engineer though, you can be really good at your job without conducting any research.The problem is that material science and engineering are becoming more and more theoretical, which is not what I am looking for. In summary, the Materials Engineering major may be good, but it is not a science major and lacks research opportunities.
musk
Hi

I recently received my bachelor degree in ME and now I am facing a dilemma for my masters. I originally wanted to go into MSE abroad, but because of VISA issues I won't be able to attend although I got admitted.

I have 3 choices: Materials Engineering, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science and Engineering.

The last one is very very weak, they usually have 2-3 students so professors do not even do lectures, so the students study alone and just go to take tests. I have talked to some professors who are familiar with that major and none recommended it to me.

Materials Engineering, is good, however there is not 'science' in it. It is mostly metallurgy and mechanics of materials, corrosion and such. No electronic materials, no new stuff. Moreover the labs are old and there is literally no possibility to do any meaningful research. If you ask me, quite an outdated major.

Condensed Matter Physics, is on the other side of the spectrum. They have reasonably equipped labs, but the curriculum is literally condensed matter physics (obvious), with a more theoretical approach.

I wanted Material Science and Engineering, exactly because of it's interdisciplinarity and cutting edge application. Neither of the ones mentioned offer that. The first would be terrible, the second is metallurgy more or less and the third is too theory heavy.

So what your opinion? I'd certainly like to have a career in material science and engineering with real life practical application, not metallurgy and not theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be glad if anyone could help as I need some fresh perspective. Thank you.

musk said:
Materials Engineering, is good, however there is not 'science' in it. It is mostly metallurgy and mechanics of materials, corrosion and such. No electronic materials, no new stuff. Moreover the labs are old and there is literally no possibility to do any meaningful research. If you ask me, quite an outdated major.

Why do you think metallurgy and mechanics of materials are not science? These subjects are mostly derived from experimental work, rather than overarching theories, but they are indubitably scientific. They are also really, really useful subjects to know if you are at all interested in creating new things, especially if you want to push the envelope of performance.

I understand that. But as far as I see it there is little room for research nowadays in those fields and I'd very much like to remeain in academia + do research

There is a ton of research in these fields if you wish to do that sort of thing.

1. What does "ME" stand for?

"ME" stands for "Myocardial infarction," which is the medical term for a heart attack.

2. What are the 3 options for someone who has had a heart attack?

The three options are: medical treatment, lifestyle changes, and cardiac rehabilitation. Medical treatment may include medication, surgery, or other procedures to improve heart function. Lifestyle changes may involve adopting a healthy diet, quitting smoking, and increasing physical activity. Cardiac rehabilitation involves a structured program of exercise, education, and support to help patients recover and prevent future heart problems.

3. How does having a heart attack affect someone's life?

Having a heart attack can have a significant impact on someone's life. It can lead to physical limitations, changes in daily activities, and emotional distress. It may also increase the risk of future heart problems and require ongoing medical care.

4. Can someone fully recover from a heart attack?

Yes, it is possible to fully recover from a heart attack. With proper medical treatment and lifestyle changes, many people are able to resume their normal activities and live a healthy life. However, it is important to follow medical advice and continue with recommended lifestyle changes to prevent future heart problems.

5. What can someone do to prevent a heart attack?

To reduce the risk of a heart attack, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This includes eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol use, and managing any underlying health conditions such as high blood pressure or diabetes. It is also important to seek medical treatment for any warning signs or symptoms of heart disease.