Woke up in the middle of night and saw someone

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various experiences of waking up in the middle of the night and seeing unusual or scary things, such as someone approaching covered in white clothes, experiencing sleep paralysis, and hallucinations. It also delves into the topic of atheism and how one would react in the given situation if they were an atheist. The conversation also touches on the use of weapons for self-defense and the effects of illness on perception.
Lisa!
Gold Member
What would you think if you woke up in the middle of night and saw someone who would be covered by a white clothes, would be approaching you? :uhh:

Have you ever had such an experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like a mischevous older brother?

DaveC426913 said:
You mean like a mischevous older brother?
Well, it could be.

I would tell all the athiests at PF that god exists.

Was it the Lord of the Nazgul?

Witch-king_statue_close.jpg

Lisa! said:
What would you think if you woke up in the middle of night and saw someone who would be covered by a white clothes, would be approaching you? :uhh:

Yeah, due to sleep paralysis.

loseyourname, what a nice picture! :rofl: :rofl:

yomamma said:
I would tell all the athiests at PF that god exists.

:rofl: :rofl: You mean you think God is like that or you mean if you see a ghost, you can prove God?

What if it would happen to an atheist? :uhh:

It would be exhilerating.

I love a good adrenaline rush.

Hey don't you think that it could be Franzbear or any of members who suddenly disappeared and no one knows what's happened to them? :uhh:

Lisa! said:

I think you actually meant: What would you think if you woke up in the middle of night and saw someone who would be nude and approaching to you?

But after a while and after sleeping these two hours you have decided to rearrange your question. :biggrin:

Was it a Ku Klux Klan member?

I'm sure it's the Canterville ghost; just lend him your crayons (the red ones, preferably).

It would probably freak me out a bit but in the end I would have thought it was an interesting experience, or wound up hurting someone that was trying to play a practical joke on me.

Relax, they're just bringing you your meds. :tongue:

Lisa! said:

Not-tah-prah-blem! I always keep a loaded Reminger under my pillow.

The strongest visual hallucination I've had, oh I just thought of another one.

I was mortally ill a few years ago, and I had some terrible hallucinations. Not of things. But everything in my bedroom was changing sizes. Sometimes I was small, laying in my bed at the foot of the dresser. Sometimes the ceiling was so close to my body I could reach out and touch it. Things that moved, seemed to move faster, as if a videotape had be fast-forwarded 4x. But it was all in my head... well of course it was, but I mean in a mind over matter sort of sense. When someone was perceived to be moving quickly, I was very scared, and I told them to slow down. They looked at me kind of funny and stayed at the same agility. Though not to me. After they looked at me strange, I saw them as moving naturally.

It just occurred to me that I would like to learn more about this. I'll check Wikipedia soon.

The first one I was going to type in, was when I thought a ceiling fan was a bowling pin.

I used to listen to the same Mozart CD, all night, every night. For years. It was common (several times a week) that I would hallucinate the CD playing. I would hear it, from song to song, in the same order as on the CD, even if the CD wasn't playing.

I'm still waiting for an atheist's reply. :shy:
By the way, I wanted to know what you would think about this situation if it would ever happen. I didn't ask you it happened to me and what you would think it was. :devil:

Evo said:
Relax, they're just bringing you your meds. :tongue:
:rofl: :rofl: I rememeber I was terribely sick once and I'd slept. My Mothr came and put her hand on my face to see if I had a fever, I suddenly got up in panic :uhh: .I asked her not to do t again even if she thought I was dying.

arildno, you must have lots of crayons! :wink:

Clausius2 said:
I think you actually meant: What would you think if you woke up in the middle of night and saw someone who would be nude and approaching to you?

But after a while and after sleeping these two hours you have decided to rearrange your question. :biggrin:
No smarty! I am trying to find out why some people can't sleep anything at night and they have headaches during the day. :wink: You know it's important to know what they think of this situation. So we can find out waht they do during the day(mainly night) how prevent them from falling to sleep. :uhh:
More clarification?

Mk said:
But everything in my bedroom was changing sizes. Sometimes I was small, laying in my bed at the foot of the dresser. Sometimes the ceiling was so close to my body I could reach out and touch it.
Look up macropsia and micropsia.
Things that moved, seemed to move faster, as if a videotape had be fast-forwarded 4x.
I have no idea what this is called, but I have read accounts of it before. I would be very interested if anyone knows more about it. It's opposite also occurs: everything can seem slowed down to a person.

laminatedevildoll said:
Yeah, due to sleep paralysis.
I hate sleep paralysis. I've had it four times, two of those with hallucinations, two without.

Lisa! said:
I'm still waiting for an atheist's reply. :shy:
You called? Since the Horsemen relieved me of my firearms pending my trial, I guess that I would resort to my less conventional weapons. Whoever it is would either 'fess up to playing a prank, or not leave the room alive. I almost killed my own mother when I was about 18 because she came into my room without knocking and woke me up, much like your situation except a bit more oriented to my way of doing things. It's not a good idea to sneak up on someone who keeps a .44 magnum under the 'guest' pillow (well, when I had guests it was on the night-stand).

Danger said:
You called? Since the Horsemen relieved me of my firearms pending my trial, I guess that I would resort to my less conventional weapons. Whoever it is would either 'fess up to playing a prank, or not leave the room alive. I almost killed my own mother when I was about 18 because she came into my room without knocking and woke me up, much like your situation except a bit more oriented to my way of doing things. It's not a good idea to sneak up on someone who keeps a .44 magnum under the 'guest' pillow (well, when I had guests it was on the night-stand).
And after the brief struggle Danger had with me and my colleagues , in which he relieved me of my head, I have been so embarassed about this, that I only go out covered in linen.
It is such a hassle being headless; my sense of orientation (no; not THAT sense!) is completely warped, so I'm sorry if I happen to stumble into your bedroom night-times.

Last edited:
arildno said:
And after the brief struggle Danger had with me and my colleagues
That was you?! :eek:

Danger said:
That was you?! :eek:
Don't feel too bad about it, Danger; you just removed the least essential part of me.

Danger said:
I thought all PF'er could meet each other in the other world, but it seems you're 1 of those PF'r whom I'd never meet! :devil:

What causes a person to wake up in the middle of the night and see someone?

There are several possible explanations for this experience. One possibility is that the person is experiencing a phenomenon known as sleep paralysis, where the body is temporarily immobilized upon waking up, but the mind is still partially in a dream state. This can cause hallucinations and the perception of someone being in the room. Another explanation could be that the person is experiencing a hypnopompic hallucination, which is a vivid dream-like state that can occur during the transition from sleep to wakefulness. Finally, it is also possible that the person may have actually seen a real person in the room, perhaps a family member or a pet.

Is waking up in the middle of the night and seeing someone a sign of a mental health issue?

Not necessarily. While experiencing hallucinations can be a symptom of certain mental health disorders, it is important to consider other factors and possible explanations before jumping to conclusions. If the experiences are recurring and causing distress or impairment in daily functioning, it may be worth seeking professional help to determine the cause.

Can sleep deprivation contribute to seeing someone upon waking up?

Yes, sleep deprivation can increase the likelihood of experiencing sleep-related hallucinations. When the body and mind are exhausted from lack of sleep, the brain may have difficulty distinguishing between reality and dreams, leading to the perception of seeing someone in the room.

Are there any ways to prevent or reduce the occurrence of waking up and seeing someone?

There are a few steps that can potentially help reduce the likelihood of experiencing this phenomenon. These include maintaining a regular sleep schedule, avoiding substances that can disrupt sleep (such as caffeine or alcohol), creating a comfortable and relaxing sleep environment, and managing stress and anxiety levels through relaxation techniques or therapy.

Should I be concerned if I frequently wake up and see someone in my room?

If the experiences are infrequent and do not cause significant distress, there may not be a cause for concern. However, if the experiences are recurring and causing distress or impairment in daily functioning, it may be worth seeking professional help to determine the cause and find ways to manage or reduce the occurrences.