Wondering what jobs are available

• Thread starter Coaster_Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, this young man is interested in physics, but is not sure what he wants to do with his life. He is open to many possibilities and is looking for help finding a future career.
Coaster_Man
Hi,
I'm an about-to-be grade twelve student who is interested in physics and astronomy. I am taking math honours, physics, chemistry, and ap clalculus in my last year of high school. In university I plan on taking phyiscs, astrophysics, and astronomy. I, like many others, am looking for a future career in physics as it is my main subject of interest but I have no idea what jobs that could entail. I have done some reading of other topics on these forums to broaden my knowledge but did not find an answer. The thing is I am not looking to be a professor or engineer. I'm sort of lost as of what I could do for a living. Another problem is that I'm not super-enthusiastic about astronomy, in that I don't have a telescope nor do I know XXX constellations in the sky. The most I do is take physics courses, visit apod.nasa.gov often, and watch related shows on the discover channel (i.e. stephen hawking's Discover the Universe).

If someone could help with some ideas that would be very helpful. I have tried to search some up but I keep finding the same professor/engineer results.
Keep in mind that I will be dedicated to do this for a living, because 1) I am interested in literally nothing else 2) I do find it very interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are interested in physics, but are not interested in becoming a professor or engineer? What is it about those two professions that makes you not want to do them?

how about the education sector?
-school teacher
-private tutor
-set up your own business making teaching materials on the topics you love

just to list a few...

fss said:
You are interested in physics, but are not interested in becoming a professor or engineer? What is it about those two professions that makes you not want to do them?

Interesting, eh.

My guess is he doesn't know much about what being an engineer or a professor entails. Or he does and he also knows that the odds of being a professor aren't in his favour. But hey, it only takes one. ;)

Maybe not everyone likes research? I haven't participated in any kind of research, ever. But I have done some *relatively* advanced maths (first order differential eq.) and I've liked it and because of that and the fact that I genuinely find maths and physics interesting, I'll study them. Pretty sure there's bucket loads of people like me. I was reading through older posts and a guy with bachelor's and master's degrees in maths and physics respectively, from Imperial (London), said he had no interest nor time to pursue a PhD but he just studied these subjects because he found them interesting. He works in investment banking, doing god knows what. (doubt it's anything very quantitative, considering he got the job after his BS, but you never know)

wukunlin said:
how about the education sector?
-set up your own business making teaching materials on the topics you love

just to list a few...

Deja vu...

While this definitely has its merits, it's going to be hard to compete with this lil' dude http://khanacademy.org" .

Last edited by a moderator:
True I do not know exactly what the jobs entail, because I'm still in high school so I haven't really met a professor. The reason why I didn't want to be a professor is that I am not very fond of teaching or public speaking. For engineering again, I don't know exactly what they do, but from just the sound of it (designing and building buildings, engines, etc.) doesn't peak my interest.
Like I said before I'm more into the entire universe in "physics" and not necessarily buildings. I see buildings everyday, so therefore they are boring. I want something that is new of different and interesting, which I find in things I do not know or can not see. i.e. black holes, subatomic levels, planets, stars.
But still the physics around them.

And since this subject interests me, I'm going to take physics in university no matter what, even if I don't like engineering or whatever, just because it's, in my opinion, good knowledge to know.

1. What types of jobs are available for scientists?

As a scientist, there are a wide variety of job opportunities available depending on your specific field and area of expertise. Some common job titles for scientists include research scientist, laboratory technician, data analyst, environmental scientist, and medical scientist. However, there are many other roles and industries that require scientific knowledge and skills, so it's important to explore your options and find the right fit for you.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in science?

The specific skills required for a career in science will vary depending on your field of study, but some common skills include critical thinking, problem solving, attention to detail, data analysis, and communication. Additionally, scientists often have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and research methods. It's also important to have a curious and creative mindset and be able to adapt to new technologies and techniques.

3. What education or training is needed to become a scientist?

Most positions in the field of science require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or environmental science. However, many scientists also pursue advanced degrees, such as a master's or doctorate, in order to specialize in a specific area and advance their careers. In addition to formal education, on-the-job training and continuing education opportunities are often available to help scientists stay current in their field.

4. What industries hire scientists?

Scientists are in demand in a wide range of industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental and energy companies, government agencies, and academic institutions. Many scientists also work in research and development departments for various products and technologies. With a background in science, you may also have opportunities in education, consulting, and science communication.

5. What is the job outlook for scientists?

The job outlook for scientists is generally positive, with many job opportunities available in various industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for medical scientists is projected to grow 6% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for environmental scientists is also expected to increase as companies and governments become more focused on sustainability and environmental regulations. However, competition for some positions may be high, so it's important to have a strong education and relevant experience in your field.