Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Woodworking plans

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    I like doing woodworking projects, but I'm looking for something specific. I would really like to get plans to make a 3 in 1 rocking horse, high chair, and desk. If anyone knows where I might get one or has one to give me dimensions would be a huge help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could only find tables on this site but it has a good number of links to other sites.

http://woodgears.ca/

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
  5. Jan 12, 2014 #4
    Thanks Edward. That was exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait 'til I get it and start building. I'll be sure to post pics of the finished project :)

6. Jan 12, 2014 #5
    I want a free plan, but if I can't find one, I will be going to that site to buy one. Still not a bad price to pay for the plans.

7. Jan 12, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't imagine that anyone has developed a 3 in 1 desk, high chair and rocking horse. Ostensibly, one constructs a high desk with a base that supports the rocking horse, which also serves as a chair. Is the desktop integrated into the horse, or the horse integrated into the desktop? Normally, the desktop is a flat surface, so where would the desktop be in relation to the horse's head?

Here's lots of ideas, but as edward indicated, one may have to buy plans. No 3-in-1 rocking horse, high chair, and desk though.
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/all-plans

8. Jan 12, 2014 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice to see you mcknia :smile:!

Phinds is our resident woodworking expert:

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=310841

I bet he'll have some ideas.

But have you checked out woodworking magazines yet? They will often have plans. Not sure if you can access the issues online, but maybe your library will have some. In fact I bet your library will have lots of books with woodworking plans!

9. Jan 12, 2014 #8
    Thanks Lisa. It's been way too long since I have been on here. I have missed you all!!

10. Jan 12, 2014 #9
    Sad to say, but I never go to our library :( did not even think to look there lol

11. Jan 12, 2014 #10
    I think if you study the pics of the one edward found you could reverse engineer it. There are no moving parts, it's one thing or the other by virtue of which of 3 ways you set it on the floor.

12. Jan 12, 2014 #11

strangerep

Science Advisor

mcknia07,

(I'm not sure why you're asking this on a Physics Forum.) Have you tried this http://woodworkforums.com.au/ [Broken] ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  13. Jan 13, 2014 #12
    No way you're going to reverse-engineer that contraption unless you're in for a lesson in frustration. Well I'm sayin' cus I build stuff too. Way hard to make that strong in my opinion not to mention one day you'll likely find your little one all tangled up in it trying to rock the desk or one of the other what 5 combinations? I can just see a little 6 year-old girl telling her dad, "but dad, it's too complicated!" To which her dad would say, "tell you what sweetheart, why don't you and me go and cut everything off until there is just a little stool remaining that you can put your dolls on, huh?"

14. Jan 13, 2014 #13
    This is the general discussion section of the Physics Forums

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  15. Jan 13, 2014 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And use a nice Mahogany.

Soft, like a babies behind. :smile:

16. Jan 13, 2014 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was so impressed to the plans linked to that I posted them on a woodworking forum. When I saw the title, my first thought was "this guy has to be nuts ... you can't do all that in one item", but boy was I wrong.

17. Jan 13, 2014 #16
    I actually saw the 3 in 1 wooden rocker at an Amish store and thought I could make that. I want to build mine out of oak and just varnish it. It will be so neat to build!

18. Jan 13, 2014 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

ummm.... Have you ever worked with oak before? Can you show us some examples of your previous woodworking projects, please. hmmm... Does anyone else think we should move this to the homework section?

:tongue:

19. Jan 13, 2014 #18
    Yes, I have worked with oak before. When I was younger I made small projects a lot with my dad in the garage. I also made several things while I was in school. My recent projects are more time consuming, so this project will be a piece of cake once I start :D

20. Jan 13, 2014 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok. As long as you know what you're getting into. I worked with oak only once. It was like steel, compared to the mahogany.

Though, the mahogany was steel compared to the cedar.

I once referred to cedar as the "Charmin" of woods. It is very soft.

Anyways, good to see you back mcknia. :smile:

21. Jan 13, 2014 #20
    I think the structure of it would be very easy to reproduce just from studying those three pictures. Whoever designed it in the first place has solved all the potentially baffling problems of combining the three things, and you can see the solutions there. The hard part would be what's always the hard part: the finish work.

Also, it's not for a 6 year old. It's for a baby/toddler. The parent would be doing all the changes of position.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook