1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Word problem using hyperbola

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    wrzYH.png
    ( URL of image in case it doesn't display : http://imgur.com/wrzYH.png )

The axes x and y are measured in miles.

In the figure, the LORAN stations at A and B are 520 mi apart, and the ship at P receives station A's signal 2,640 microseconds (ms) before it receives the signal from B.

A) Assuming that radio signals travel at 960 ft/ms, find | d(P, A) - d(P, B)|

B) Find an equation for the branch of the hyperbola indicated in red in the figure, using miles as the unit of distance.

C) If A is due north of B, and if P is due east of A, how far is P from A?

My attempt at a solution
    The only thing I was able to somewhat figure out was Part A, but i'm not sure if my logic was correct. I multiplied 960 by 2640 to get 2,534,400 and put that was my answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would start by calling A = (0,a) and B = (0,-a) and P = (x,y). Then remember that a hyperbola is the locus of a point moving such that the differences of its distances from two points is a constant d. The two points are the foci. First figure out the equation with those variables. Put the numbers in last.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook