Calculating Distance and Equation for a Hyperbola Using LORAN Stations

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure with LORAN stations at points A and B that are 520 miles apart. The ship at point P receives a signal from A 2,640 microseconds before it receives a signal from B. Part A asks to find the absolute value of the difference between the distances from P to A and P to B, given that radio signals travel at 960 feet/microsecond. Part B asks for an equation of the branch of a hyperbola indicated in red on the figure, using miles as the unit of distance. Part C asks for the distance between P and A if A is due north of B and P is due east of A. One approach to solving this problem is to assign coordinates to
uselessjack

Homework Statement

wrzYH.png

( URL of image in case it doesn't display : http://imgur.com/wrzYH.png )

The axes x and y are measured in miles.

In the figure, the LORAN stations at A and B are 520 mi apart, and the ship at P receives station A's signal 2,640 microseconds (ms) before it receives the signal from B.

A) Assuming that radio signals travel at 960 ft/ms, find | d(P, A) - d(P, B)|

B) Find an equation for the branch of the hyperbola indicated in red in the figure, using miles as the unit of distance.

C) If A is due north of B, and if P is due east of A, how far is P from A?
My attempt at a solution
The only thing I was able to somewhat figure out was Part A, but I'm not sure if my logic was correct. I multiplied 960 by 2640 to get 2,534,400 and put that was my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by calling A = (0,a) and B = (0,-a) and P = (x,y). Then remember that a hyperbola is the locus of a point moving such that the differences of its distances from two points is a constant d. The two points are the foci. First figure out the equation with those variables. Put the numbers in last.

Related to Calculating Distance and Equation for a Hyperbola Using LORAN Stations

1. What is a hyperbola in a word problem?

A hyperbola is a type of curved shape that can be used in word problems to model real-life situations. It is formed by the intersection of a plane and a double cone, and has two symmetrical branches that curve away from each other.

2. How can I identify a hyperbola in a word problem?

In a word problem, a hyperbola can be identified by looking for key phrases such as "inverse variation", "asymptote", or "constant ratio". These phrases indicate that the problem involves a relationship that can be represented by a hyperbola.

3. How can I use a hyperbola to solve a word problem?

To use a hyperbola to solve a word problem, you will need to set up an equation that represents the relationship between the variables in the problem. This equation will typically involve a constant ratio or proportion between the variables. Then, you can use the equation to find the value of one variable when the other is known, or to make predictions about the relationship between the variables.

4. What is the difference between a horizontal and a vertical hyperbola in a word problem?

A horizontal hyperbola has its branches opening left and right, while a vertical hyperbola has its branches opening up and down. In a word problem, this difference can affect the interpretation of the relationship between the variables, and may require different approaches to solving the problem.

5. Are there any real-life applications of hyperbolas in word problems?

Yes, there are many real-life situations that can be modeled using hyperbolas in word problems. Some examples include the relationship between the distance and time of an object moving at a constant speed, the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature, and the relationship between the voltage and current in an electrical circuit.