Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 457K views
sbrothy said:
Yeah well sometimes what you're doing pays off and apparently sometimes it doesn't. I'm still using "heuristics" (read: guessing). I'm aware though. If push comes to shove my money is on you! :woot:
I wonder how many people on the planet have never lost a single game, as that's been my goal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
Physics news on Phys.org
It's along thread and I dont know how to search for it but have you lost a game? I know I have. Several.
 
sbrothy said:
It's along thread and I dont know how to search for it but have you lost a game? I know I have. Several.
Just the one I mentioned the other day, game 1750.
I blamed it on the New York Times as they REALLY deviated from the original number scheme:


2nd game #

word

1st game #

1689​
cigar​
0​
1708​
awake​
4​
1730​
grade​
15​
1718​
linen​
51​
1765​
stand​
57​
1742​
ivory​
59​
1797​
agree​
70​
1745​
comet​
122​
1788​
clock​
160​
1778​
bring​
164​
1704​
squad​
296​
1750​
sandy​
1226​


I've set my filter now to include first game numbers through 1434, incrementing by one each day.
I'm also getting a bit tired of the game and have devised a devious plan to cut the time I play down to 10 minutes.

---

Wordle 1,798 5/6*

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛ CUMIN 106 (wb 125)(Seed: ranked 1701 and used by 5 others)
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛ BRICK 32 (37) (Perhaps I've had a stroke. That's 2 days in a row)
⬛🟨⬛⬛🟨 SCHWA 2/2/5 (12)
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩 FECAL 1/0/1 (2) LOCAL(used)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 VOCAL

global mean: 4.164
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and edwardII
Wordle 1,799 4/6*

🟨🟨⬛⬛⬛ HUMID 31 (wb 33)(Seed: ranked 880 and used by 20 others)
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ CHUMP 2/1/2 (5) (3 days in a row. I've definitely had a stroke.)
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ CHURN 1/0/1 (2)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 CHUCK

global mean: 3.926
 
Wordle 1,799 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (160).webp
 
sbrothy said:
Nice save! :smile:
I had used up so many letters there weren't many words left that fit. :cool:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and sbrothy
Wordle 1,800 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛ FUNGO 157 (wb 194)(Seed: ranked last)
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛ SLANT 6/5/9 (26)
⬛🟩⬛🟨🟨 RIPEN 1/0/1 (2) (1.421 max 2) NICHE(used),
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 NIECE

global mean: 3.884
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,800 4/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛ FUNGO 157 (wb 194)(Seed: ranked last)
⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛ SLANT 6/5/9 (26)
⬛🟩⬛🟨🟨 RIPEN 1/0/1 (2) (1.421 max 2) NICHE(used),
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 NIECE

global mean: 3.884
I've lost count of how many times I've had to look up your start words (or your words in general really)! :smile:
 
OmCheeto said:
I wonder how many people on the planet have never lost a single game, as that's been my goal.
Good question! I'd expect the most hardcore geeks to be here though! 😄
 
sbrothy said:
I've lost count of how many times I've had to look up your start words (or your words in general really)! :smile:
I limit my seeds to valid solutions, and use from the full list in times of trouble for followup guesses.
I don't use 'E' nor 'Y' in my seed words are these two letters are responsible for nearly all the worst case scenarios. The only exception on my list is 'KAZOO'.
I also don't use seed words with 'J, Q, V, X, or Z' as these are the least frequently used letters in the list of valid solutions. And I avoid them in follow up guesses unless absolutely necessary.
 
OmCheeto said:
I limit my seeds to valid solutions, and use from the full list in times of trouble for followup guesses.
I don't use 'E' nor 'Y' in my seed words are these two letters are responsible for nearly all the worst case scenarios. The only exception on my list is 'KAZOO'.
I also don't use seed words with 'J, Q, V, X, or Z' as these are the least frequently used letters in the list of valid solutions. And I avoid them in follow up guesses unless absolutely necessary.
Yeah, as I learnt from Scrabble (and as you can plainly see) I stick with combinations of AINSR, sometimes T or a random vocal. Also because of frequency.

EDIT: If I get no hit and haven't used U I mostly go with DOUGH as my second guess.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and edwardII
sbrothy said:
...I mostly go with DOUGH as my second guess.
That's very Homer Simpsonesque of you. :oldbiggrin:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and sbrothy
Wordle 1,801 3/6*

🟨⬛🟨⬛⬛ SKIMP 8/8/10 ∑26 (wb 33)(Seed: ranked 2178 and used by 3 others)
⬛⬛🟩🟩🟩 ROSIT 1/0/0 (1) (1.800 MAX 3) not a valid solution word
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 VISIT

global mean: 3.789
 
DroolingApe said:
Rather than words, I prefer the math version:
https://nerdlegame.com/
Maybe in my next lifetime. Who's got time for TWO daily 5 minute games? Us retired people have lots of napping to do.

nerdlegame 1587 5/6

🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛🟪⬛⬛ 19+28=47
🟩🟪🟪🟪🟪⬛⬛🟩 13*5=065
🟩🟪🟪🟪🟪⬛⬛🟩 15/3=005
🟩🟪🟪⬛🟪⬛🟩🟩 1*10/2=5
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 1/3*15=5

--------

Wordle 1,802 3/6*

⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛ WHOMP 9/10/25 ∑44 (wb 57)(Seed: ranked 2743 and used by 2 others)
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩 TORCH 1/0/2 (4)(1.654 MAX 3)ish VOUCH(u), COACH(u),
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 COUCH (1.000) old

global mean: 3.973
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and edwardII
Wordle 1,803 5/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ BIPOD 704 (wb 808)(Seed: ranked last)
🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨 SLANT 3/2/0 (5)
🟩🟩⬛🟨⬛ STRUM 2/0/0 (2)
🟩🟩🟩⬛⬛ STUCK 1/0/0 (1)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 STUFF

global mean: 4.426
 
Just luck, a lot of words with a similar spelling is usually my downfall.

Wordle 1,803 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Wow. No luck involved. :woot:

Wordle 1,803 3/6*

🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skærmbillede (166).webp
 
edwardII said:
So how did you eliminate the many other words that started with those same two letters??
As always I used the "heuristic approach" (read: I blindly guessed! :woot: )
 
edwardII said:
Just luck, a lot of words with a similar spelling is usually my downfall.

Wordle 1,803 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Thank you for consuming much of my morning by not using your usual seed word and throwing me into my 'can I solve this problem?' mode.

I'm fairly certain that I would have another TIA* if I actually tried to solve this.

The narrowest I could get the guesses down to was on #3, where I came up with SQUAT, SPURT, and SHUNT

*TIA: Transient Ischemic Attack = A minor stoke, causing minimal brain damage.
 
OmCheeto said:
Thank you for consuming much of my morning by not using your usual seed word and throwing me into my 'can I solve this problem?' mode.

I'm fairly certain that I would have another TIA* if I actually tried to solve this.

The narrowest I could get the guesses down to was on #3, where I came up with SQUAT, SPURT, and SHUNT

*TIA: Transient Ischemic Attack = A minor stoke, causing minimal brain damage.I am very failiar
OmCheeto said:
Thank you for consuming much of my morning by not using your usual seed word and throwing me into my 'can I solve this problem?' mode.

I'm fairly certain that I would have another TIA* if I actually tried to solve this.

The narrowest I could get the guesses down to was on #3, where I came up with SQUAT, SPURT, and SHUNT

*TIA: Transient Ischemic Attack = A minor stoke, causing minimal brain damage.
I am very familiar with TIA's very scary.
 
edwardII said:
I am very familiar with TIA's very scary.

I've only had one while awake. Terrifying.:oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised::oldsurprised:

The other 12 bazillion were while I was asleep.
I can't account for how stupid I've become otherwise.