Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,777 replies · 457K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 885 4/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟨🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not my finest hour but then again it was a rough start.
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm out of good starting words ...
I often just write the first word that pops up. SQUID, PRICE, EXCEL. Stuff like that. Then again I obviously don't take it as seriously as some other people here.
 
sbrothy said:
I often just write the first word that pops up. SQUID, PRICE, EXCEL. Stuff like that. Then again I obviously don't take it as seriously as some other people here.
I have basically two starting words. I am sure that both will be used and I do not want to miss the chance of a hole-in-one. However, I tend to use the wrong one.

Using two words beginning with the same two letters on two consecutive days is mean, and that these two letters are also the first two letters of one of my starting words in even meaner. And of course, I started with the other one on both days.
 
fresh_42 said:
I have basically two starting words. I am sure that both will be used and I do not want to miss the chance of a hole-in-one. However, I tend to use the wrong one.

Using two words beginning with the same two letters on two consecutive days is mean, and that these two letters are also the first two letters of one of my starting words in even meaner. And of course, I started with the other one on both days.
Sure. I have my favorites too of course, AUDIO, AUREI and various combinations like SQUAD, SQUAT and QUART. It's when I feel lucky I'll include an X, Z or Q.

But yeah, double letters are somewhat of a pain. But that's the name of the game I suppose.
 
sbrothy said:
But yeah, double letters are somewhat of a pain. But that's the name of the game I suppose.
Not double letters, the same pattern PI***on two consecutive days! And one of my two starting words is PIOUS. And you bet I used the other one on both days.
 
fresh_42 said:
Not double letters, the same pattern PI***on two consecutive days! And one of my two starting words is PIOUS. And you bet I used the other one on both days.
Ah. Good one. Except that one time of course.
 
15 minutes to the next one... counting down....

Oops. 1 HOUR and 15 minutes ...
 
Wordle 887 5/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
⬛⬛🟨🟩⬛
⬛🟩⬛🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

OK. That was really really bad. I would think hard mode protected me from making stupid guesses like that but apparently not.

EDIT: And haven't we had this word before?
 
sbrothy said:
I would think hard mode protected me from making stupid guesses like that but apparently not.
I have said it before and I will say it again: what hard mode does is to prevent you from making guesses that give you the most information. Sometimes to the extent of making it impossible to guarantee solving the puzzle just because you happened to be ”lucky” with an early guess.
 
Orodruin said:
I have said it before and I will say it again: what hard mode does is to prevent you from making guesses that give you the most information. Sometimes to the extent of making it impossible to guarantee solving the puzzle just because you happened to be ”lucky” with an early guess.
Yeah, obviously it doesn't do what I thought it did.