Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by the gravitational force

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1
    Hi there!
    I'd like to calculate the work done by the gravitational force. I know the work is defined by the integration of a 1-form:
    [tex]L=\int_\gamma \omega[/tex]

This works fine in cartesian coordinates and I know how to integrate it, but what if I want to use spherical coordinates?
    Then I'd have:
    Suppose [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a curve defined in spherical coordinates (i.e. [tex]\vec\gamma=R(t)\hat r+\Theta(t)\hat\theta+\Phi(t)\hat\phi[/tex]),
    how do I integrate the 1-form along [tex]\gamma[/tex]?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2011 #2

Staff: Mentor

No, you need to use the line element in spherical coordinates:

[tex]d \vec l = dr \hat r + r d\theta \hat \theta + r \sin \theta d\phi \hat \phi[/tex]

so that

[tex]\omega = F_r dr + F_\theta r d\theta + F_\phi r \sin \theta d\phi[/tex]

Now, what are [itex]F_r[/itex], [itex]F_\theta[/itex], and [itex]F_\phi[/itex]?
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Feb 2, 2011 #3
    Then the integral is like this?

[tex]\int_\gamma \omega = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \vec F \cdot\frac{d\vec l}{dt}dt=\int_{t_0}^{t_1} \left( F_r\frac{dr}{dt}+F_\theta r \frac{d\theta}{dt}+F_\phi rsin\theta\frac{d\phi}{dt}\right)dt[/tex]
  5. Feb 2, 2011 #4
    Wouldn't the work done when moving between two points in a gravitational field just be the difference between the potential energies at those two points? You'd really only need to worry about the up direction...or r in spherical polar coordinates...if the coordinate origin is the earth's center.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?