Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation

In summary: I incorrectly assumed were constants. Still not sure what the displacement is though. Thanks for the help!
Chrismartin33

Homework Statement

A car of mass m accelerates from speed v1 to speed v2 while going up a slope that makes an angle θ with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction is μs, and the acceleration due to gravity is g.
Find the total work W done on the car by the external forces.

Homework Equations

Wnet = .5mv22 - .5mv12
W=F*d
W=|F|*|d|*cos(theta)
d=displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

The question actually does say it gives me static friction, not sure how that works since it's a kinetic energy question and must be in motion.
I know the motion is up a ramp, but not quite comprehending how the angle (theta) will affect the various components in this work-energy example.
Answer is algebraic, in terms of any of the following: [v1,v2,(theta),us,g]
Please help!

Edit: I do know that Fnet = deltaK/d as well. Not sure if that helps me though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Going to keep this here incase anyone else gets the answer in the future.
I figured out the answer to the question.
The angle has no effect on the question since velocity is already known, it's simply measuring the change in kinetic energy at the top of the ramp minus the kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp, and this therefore makes friction an unnecessary portion to the question.
Therefore Wnet=deltaK=.5mv22 - .5mv12

Presuming there's no wind-resistance involved in what is described as "static friction", friction-overcoming work is proportional to distance travelled. So work per meter traveled is constant, and is a sum of work to increase speed, elevate mass, and to overcome friction. Then some equation should be achievable, based on distance traveled as a function of acceleration. If wind resistance is involved, then there's some exponential stuff happening. Which complicate things, but may be solved also. Your figuring is wrong, anyway, as friction and elevation affects how much work is required.

Last edited:
Vespa71 said:
Your figuring is wrong, anyway, as friction and elevation affects how much work is required.

@Vespa: Read the OP. Find the total work W done on the car by the external forces:
It was not "work required by the engine".
And recall Work-Energy Theorem: The change of kinetic energy is equal to the total work done. The OP's solution is correct.

Slapped in the face by definitions, once again. I don't like trick questions too much. A question making my answer correct, would have been a considerably better question. Apologies to Chrismartin33 for my conclusive descriptions. And thanks to ehild for explaining the question in terms that made my journey towards enlightenment possible..

... Humbly Vespa71

Thanks Chris, makes sense since the velocity is already accounted for-- my original expression had theta and \mu_s

What is the Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation?

The Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between work, energy, and force. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that object.

What is the equation for the Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation?

The equation is W = ΔKE = (1/2)mv22 - (1/2)mv21, where W is work, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities, respectively.

What is the unit of measurement for the variables in the Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation?

The unit of measurement for work and energy is joules (J), while the unit for mass is kilograms (kg), and the unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

How is the Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation used in real-world applications?

The Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of work needed to lift an object, determining the speed of a car after braking, and predicting the potential energy of a roller coaster at the top of a hill.

What are the limitations of the Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation?

The Work-Energy Theorem Algebraic Representation assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object, and it does not take into account factors such as air resistance and friction. It also only applies to objects with constant mass and velocity.