1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Work in moving through zero potential difference

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    If I were to move a positive charge from infinity to a location between two positive charges where the net electric field is zero, the electric field would do zero work because there is no potential difference right? I am confused about why this is though. As you move the charge from infinity, the electric field will always point in the direction opposing the charge's motion. Doesn't the electric field then do negative work?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No. The electric field is only zero at that one point along that path. At all other points along that path there is an electric field, it does work, and there is a changing potential.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    I see. That is because the charge would possess a positive voltage at the point between the two positive charges, right?

5. May 7, 2016 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, assuming zero voltage at infinity.

6. May 7, 2016 #5
    Thanks. That makes more sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted