Work Exchange: Object 1 Pushes Object 2 - 15 J Work

• Thread starter student 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, object 1 does 15 J of work on object 2 as they move together, similar to a bulldozer pushing a stone. It is possible for object 2 to do work on object 1, with the amount of work being equivalent to the negative work that object 1 does on object 2. This can be determined by using the equation for work, which involves force and distance. In this scenario, the force exerted by object 2 on object 1 is 15 J. This can also be demonstrated with numerical values, where the bulldozer applies 5 Newtons for 3 Meters, resulting in 15 J of work being done. Essentially, this is an application of Newton's
student 1

Homework Statement

Object one pushes on object 2 as the objects move together, like a bulldozer pushing a stone. Assume object 1 does 15 J of work on object 2. Does Object 2 do work of object 1? If possible determine how much work?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking it would do work on object 1, could someone just point me in the right direction on how to start this. I'm not real sure where to begin. I was thinking it might be negative work that the 2nd object does on number 1.?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is needed for an object to do work?

Force and distance moved?

student 1 said:
Force and distance moved?

What is the force that object 2 exerts on object 1?

I am pretty sure that the answer is 15J.

Lets try it with numbers (although they don't really matter.) Let's say the bulldozer applies 5 Newtons for 3 Meters (3*5=15). This means that if the rock was not present, it would take 15 Joules less to move those 3 Meters. You can think of this -15J as the work that the boulder does on the bulldoser. It is the extra energy that the bulldozer has to do for those 3 meters (or any distance for what it matters).

Basically it was just to apply Newton's third law.

Thanks a bunch!

1. What is "Work Exchange" in the context of physics?

Work Exchange is a concept in physics that describes the transfer of energy between two objects when one object exerts a force on the other and causes it to move.

2. How is work measured in physics?

In physics, work is measured in joules (J), which is the unit for energy. Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.

3. What does it mean for Object 1 to "push" Object 2 in this scenario?

In this scenario, "pushing" refers to the application of a force on Object 2 by Object 1. This force causes Object 2 to move in the direction of the force.

4. How much work is being done in this scenario?

In this scenario, 15 joules (J) of work is being done. This is calculated by multiplying the force applied by Object 1 (in newtons) by the distance Object 2 moves (in meters).

5. What is the relationship between work and energy in this scenario?

In this scenario, work and energy are interchangeable. The 15 joules (J) of work done by Object 1 is equal to the 15 joules (J) of energy transferred to Object 2. Work is a measure of the energy transferred between objects.