Can Talent and Passion Coexist in Applied Mathematics?

In summary, Halls thinks that people can succeed in subjects they don't enjoy if they have the will power and talent.
Bladibla
Hey all

I just talked to a 'friend' in my class, who gets really good in mathematics and stuff.

We were just talking about (or he, to be more precise) the grades we and he got. Not necessarily saying he was boasting or anything.

I was shocked to find out he didn't actually like mathematics, but did it because he had to

From my point of view i found this a bit dissappointing. I won't say i am the most prolific genius of maths in our school, but i do enjoy it, and i would love to have (if there was a ny oppotunity) work on applied mathematics, i.e. quantum mechanics and other mathematically heavy sciences.

What d oyou think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It certainly would be nice to enjoy doing what you have to do (which is a good reason for learning to enjoy a lot of different things- mathematics, English, history, ...) but with sufficient will power, yes one can work hard and do well in subjects one doesn't enjoy. It's unfortunate for your friend that he doesn't enjoy doing something he obviously needs to spend a lot of time on it but there is no reason for you to be "disappointed".

Well Halls, there is a matter of talent too. My daughter has excellent math talent, and always aced her exams; her teachers were always pushing her to do more. But she really doesn't like math, because it's abstract, she is intensly a people person. She wound up an engineer, but has gradually worked herself out of that quantitative job into one where she develops product ideas based on deep market research of customers. Her advantage in her company is that unlike many people who do that, she has the "crystalized g" necessary to communicate with the engineering types who run it.

1. What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is the use of mathematical methods and principles to solve problems in various fields, including science, engineering, business, and finance.

2. What is the importance of applied mathematics in research?

Applied mathematics plays a crucial role in research as it provides a framework for analyzing and solving complex problems in various fields. It helps in formulating and testing hypotheses, making predictions, and developing models to understand real-world phenomena.

3. How is applied mathematics different from pure mathematics?

Applied mathematics focuses on using mathematical concepts and techniques to solve practical problems, while pure mathematics is more theoretical and abstract, exploring the fundamental principles and structures of mathematics.

4. What are some examples of applications of applied mathematics?

Some examples of applications of applied mathematics include weather forecasting, risk analysis, cryptography, optimization techniques in business and finance, and modeling and simulation in physics and engineering.

5. What skills are needed to work on applied mathematics?

To work in applied mathematics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematical principles, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and proficiency in computer programming and data analysis. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating on interdisciplinary projects.