Calculating Work for a Constant Velocity Elevator

In summary, when an elevator is lifted at a constant velocity, the net work done is zero. However, the work done by the tension in the cable and the weight of the elevator are non-zero and equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. This is because the net force is zero, but the individual forces still do work.
hey123a

Homework Statement

A cable lifts a 1200
kg elevator at a constant velocity for
a distance of 35 m. What is the work done by
(a)
the tension in the cable and
(b)
the elevator's weight?

Homework Equations

W = fscos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay i already know the answer to the solution and how to do it, however, when i first interpreted the question i thought the answer was zero because it says that it moves at a constant velocity. if its at a constant velocity then acceleration is zero. since f = ma, and acceleration is zero then force is equal to zero, so that means work is also equal to zero since W=fscos(theta)
however the answer to the question is actually

Solution: (a) 4.1 x 10 5J, (b) -4.1 x 10 5J

again, i know how to get the right answer but i would like to know what was wrong with my initial thinking

Physics news on Phys.org
hey123a said:

Homework Statement

A cable lifts a 1200
kg elevator at a constant velocity for
a distance of 35 m. What is the work done by
(a)
the tension in the cable and
(b)
the elevator's weight?

Homework Equations

W = fscos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay i already know the answer to the solution and how to do it, however, when i first interpreted the question i thought the answer was zero because it says that it moves at a constant velocity. if its at a constant velocity then acceleration is zero. since f = ma, and acceleration is zero then force is equal to zero, so that means work is also equal to zero since W=fscos(theta)
however the answer to the question is actually

Solution: (a) 4.1 x 10 5J, (b) -4.1 x 10 5J

again, i know how to get the right answer but i would like to know what was wrong with my initial thinking

The net force is zero.Hence net work done is zero.But the work done by the tension in the cable and the weight are non zero.

You can easily deduce this from the answers you have got.The magnitude of the work done by the two forces are equal,but that of the tension is positive while that of the weight is negative.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the formula for calculating work for a constant velocity elevator?

The formula for calculating work for a constant velocity elevator is W = Fd, where W represents work, F represents the force applied, and d represents the distance moved.

2. How does the force applied affect the work done by a constant velocity elevator?

The force applied directly affects the work done by a constant velocity elevator. The greater the force, the more work is done, and vice versa.

3. Can the distance moved by a constant velocity elevator affect the work done?

Yes, the distance moved also plays a role in determining the work done by a constant velocity elevator. The greater the distance, the more work is done, and vice versa.

4. Is the work done by a constant velocity elevator always the same?

Yes, the work done by a constant velocity elevator is always the same as long as the elevator is moving at a constant velocity. This is because the force and distance are directly proportional, so any change in one will result in a corresponding change in the other to maintain a constant work value.

5. How does the direction of the force affect the work done by a constant velocity elevator?

The direction of the force does not affect the work done by a constant velocity elevator. This is because work is a scalar quantity, meaning it only takes into account the magnitude of the force, not its direction.