1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work word probem

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A contractor employed a certain number of men to complete a work in a certain number of days. If 3 more men were deployed the work would be finished 2 days earlier while
    if 12 more men were deployed it would be finished 5 days earlier. Find number of men
    deployed by the contractor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the number of men be n. Let the number of days be t.
    Now how should I translate this problem into equation ? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the job needs M man-days of work to be completed, then
    n*t = M

Can you use the information given to write down two more equations that involve n, t, and M?

4. Jun 24, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

These problems are nasty, the type that I hate the most, needing one to use variables and needing simultaneous equations to solve.

Think of units of work: 1 worker working for 1 day does 1 unit of work. Units of work per day is how we measure how productive a team is. Now let M be the number of units of work required to complete the project. This is exactly in line with what Office_Shredder said.

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4
    Yes.
    n*t=M
    Also (n+3)(t-2)=M and (n+12)(t-5)=m
    And ... I just solved this simultaneous equations to get n=12 and t=10 which is the correct answer.
    Thanks a lot for help!

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, all of algebra?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted