Working out strain and stress of an elastic band (youngs modulus)

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the stress and strain of an elastic band when a force is applied, specifically in Young's modulus. The process involves knowing the dimensions of the band and using Hooke's law to find the strain. There are different ways to measure stress and strain, and the behavior of elastomers is different from metals. The conversation also touches on the importance of accurately measuring the area of the band for calculating stress and the use of mathematical models for describing the stress-strain behavior of elastomers.
Gallows
This is regarding youngs elastic modulus
I need help as I am trying to figure out the stress and strain of an elastic band when a force has been applied - in youngs modulus.

Does anyone know how to go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "in youngs modulus"?
I suppose you mean "in Young's modulus" but still not clear.
To calculate the stress you need to know the dimensions of the band (the area of the cross section) and the force.
Then you can find the strain from Hooke's law (this has Young's modulus in it).

nasu said:
What do you mean by "in youngs modulus"?
I suppose you mean "in Young's modulus" but still not clear.
To calculate the stress you need to know the dimensions of the band (the area of the cross section) and the force.
Then you can find the strain from Hooke's law (this has Young's modulus in it).

Hi, thank you for your reply, I think the dimensions of the elastic band are (height: 7cm) (width 4cm) and thickness (2mm)

So I think the area is (5.6nm)

I am still not sure how to work out the stress, strain and force

Gallows said:
This is regarding youngs elastic modulus
I need help as I am trying to figure out the stress and strain of an elastic band when a force has been applied - in youngs modulus.

Does anyone know how to go about this?

An elastomeric band is a different kind of animal from a metal bar, the latter of which is characterized in the region of elastic behavior (in extension) by Young's modulus.

An elastomer behaves differently. Its region of elastic behavior is much larger than that of a metal (in terms of the magnitude of the elastic deformations that can be sustained, followed by full recovery to the initial length). In addition, for an elastomer, the stress is not a linear function of the strain. Finally, because of the larger extensions that an elasomeric band suffers, its cross sectional area decreases significantly.

The real issue is how do you calculate the strain and the stress for large deformations. For uniaxial extensions like you are interested in, there are several strain measures that can be used and two different measures of stress:

ε =( l/l0 - 1 )

or ε =(( l/l0)2 -1)/2

or ε = (1-(l0/l)2)/2

where l is the stretched length of the band and l0 is the initial unstretched length.

The stress can be calculated in terms of the force per unit cross sectional area (the so-called true stress) or in terms of the force per unit initial cross sectional area (the so-called engineering stress):

σtrue = F/A = (F/A0) (l / l0)

σengineering = F/A0=(F/A) (l0/l)

If doesn't matter which measure of strain you choose to work with or which measure of stress you choose to work with. Whatever the case, the stress will be a unique non-linear function of the strain which you can measure experimentally (once and for all for the material in question).

σ = σ (ε)

The functionalities between all the various stress and strain measures are known, so you can convert from one strain measure to another and/or from one stress measure to another.

Elastomeric materials are typically cross linked polymers, and the fundamental deformational behavior of these types of materials was studied in the 1930's and 1940's using statistical thermodynamics. Various mathematical descriptions of the stress-strain behavior of elastomers are presented in the literature, based on these fundamental studies. The most well-known of these is the Mooney-Rivlin model.

Gallows said:
Hi, thank you for your reply, I think the dimensions of the elastic band are (height: 7cm) (width 4cm) and thickness (2mm)

So I think the area is (5.6nm)

I am still not sure how to work out the stress, strain and force

No, the volume is 56 cm^2. The area of cross section will be 4mmx2mm = 8mm^2. This is, assuming that you stretch the band along the 7 cm side.
You can calculate the initial stress as F/A. This will be the initial or "engineering" stress. However, as Chestermiller have explained in detail, the area changes significantly when you stretch the rubber band.

nasu said:
No, the volume is 56 cm^2. The area of cross section will be 4mmx2mm = 8mm^2. This is, assuming that you stretch the band along the 7 cm side.
You can calculate the initial stress as F/A. This will be the initial or "engineering" stress. However, as Chestermiller have explained in detail, the area changes significantly when you stretch the rubber band.

Watch those units. Actually the area is 80 mm2 = 0.8 cm2. This is the initial cross sectional area of the sample.

Do you have data on the measured force versus the measured length? If you do, then calculate the engineering stress by the equation I gave you, and calculate the strain by the first equation I gave you. Then plot a graph of the stress as a function of the strain, and see what it looks like. Then you can decide what kind of parametric relationship would be best for fitting to the data.

Chestermiller said:
Watch those units. Actually the area is 80 mm2 = 0.8 cm2. This is the initial cross sectional area of the sample.
Right. I did not see that the width is in cm. Thank you for correction.

1. What is Young's modulus and why is it important in determining the strain and stress of an elastic band?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. It is important in determining the strain and stress of an elastic band because it describes the relationship between the amount of stress applied to the band and the resulting strain or deformation of the band.

2. How do you calculate the strain of an elastic band?

The strain of an elastic band can be calculated by dividing the change in length of the band by its original length.

3. How do you calculate the stress of an elastic band?

The stress of an elastic band can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the band by its cross-sectional area.

4. What factors can affect the Young's modulus of an elastic band?

The Young's modulus of an elastic band can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the composition of the material the band is made of. Additionally, the manufacturing process and any previous use or stretching of the band can also impact its modulus.

5. How can understanding the strain and stress of an elastic band be useful in real-life applications?

Understanding the strain and stress of an elastic band can be useful in various real-life applications, such as designing and testing the durability of products that use elastic bands, predicting the behavior of structures that incorporate elastic bands, and determining the maximum load an elastic band can handle before breaking. Additionally, this knowledge can also help in choosing the right type of elastic band for a specific purpose.