Working with an FPGA to Count Coidncident Pulses

In summary, The speaker is trying to program an FPGA to mimic a coincidence counting module. They need to perform a modified AND operation on square, 5V pulses from two photon counters. They are concerned about imperfections causing the pulses to not arrive at the FPGA at the same time, so they want to create a time window in which any two pulses that occur within that window will be counted as the same. They plan to use monostables to stretch the pulses to the desired window and then perform the AND operation.
dthomas
I am currently trying to program an FPGA to mimic a coincidence counting module. What I basically need it to do is a modified AND operation. The inputs are square, 5V pulses from photon counters. Because I am working with two photon counters (that are the same model) but due to imperfections in the wiring and their internal circuits, pulses that are emitted from both from the same event might not be arriving at my FPGA at the same exact time.

What I was wondering was if anyone knew create a time window so that the programmable AND logic will count any two pulses that occur within a set time window as the same? I know that if the pulses are a long enough, that any AND gate will return true if the pulses are overlapping at any point, but some of the pulses are as short as a few nano seconds so I want to make sure my design doesn't miss those.

Thanks for the help, oh and if it matters I am using a Basys2 FPGA and I am programming it using VHDL in Xilinx

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd just use monostables to stretch the pulses to whatever is your desired "non overlap window" and then and them together.

1. What is an FPGA and how does it work?

An FPGA, or Field-Programmable Gate Array, is a type of integrated circuit that can be programmed after it has been manufactured. It consists of a matrix of programmable logic blocks connected by programmable interconnects. These programmable elements allow an FPGA to be customized for a specific purpose, making it a versatile and flexible tool for a variety of applications.

2. How does an FPGA count coincident pulses?

An FPGA can count coincident pulses by using its programmable logic blocks to implement a counter circuit. The FPGA can be programmed to detect and count pulses on specific input channels, and then use a combination of logic gates and flip-flops to increment the count when multiple pulses are detected at the same time.

3. What are the benefits of using an FPGA for counting coincident pulses?

Using an FPGA for counting coincident pulses offers several benefits. First, FPGAs are highly flexible and can be programmed to handle a wide range of input signals and pulse detection scenarios. Additionally, FPGAs can process data in parallel, making them faster than traditional microprocessors for certain tasks. They also have a low power consumption, making them ideal for use in portable or battery-powered applications.

4. What considerations should be taken when working with an FPGA for counting coincident pulses?

When working with an FPGA for counting coincident pulses, it is important to carefully design and test the logic circuit to ensure accurate and reliable pulse detection. Additionally, the choice of FPGA device and programming tool should be carefully considered, as well as any potential power supply or timing requirements for the application.

5. Are there any limitations to using an FPGA for counting coincident pulses?

While FPGAs offer many benefits for counting coincident pulses, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that the programming process can be complex and time-consuming, requiring specialized knowledge and tools. Additionally, FPGAs may not be the most cost-effective solution for simple pulse counting applications, as they can be more expensive than other options. It is important to carefully weigh the benefits and limitations when deciding whether to use an FPGA for counting coincident pulses.