1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with Hermitian-Adjoint - Sakurai Problem 1.4b

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not relevant, but I have some work that reaches incorrect conclusions, and I can't see the mistake "in the middle".

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\begin{array}{l}
    {(XY)^\dag } = {\left( {\left\langle {a'} \right|X\left| {a''} \right\rangle \left\langle {a''} \right|Y\left| {a'''} \right\rangle } \right)^\dag } \\
    = \left( {\left\langle {a'} \right|X{{\left| {a''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right)\left( {\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right) \\
    = \left( {\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle }^\dag }\left\langle {a'} \right|X{{\left| {a''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right) = {Y^\dag }{X^\dag } \\
    \end{array}[/tex]

...Somewhere, here, is a mistake. I distributed the adjoint operation "+" (dagger) across the two scalars, "<||>", but if I did that, this would imply:

[tex]{\left( {XY} \right)^\dag } = \left\langle {a'} \right|X{\left| {a''} \right\rangle ^\dag }\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle ^\dag } = {X^\dag }{Y^\dag } = {\rm{uh - oh}}{\rm{.}}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2
    Your first equality doesn't make sense to me.
    when you expand out a matrix product you
    should have a sum over a'',
    and when you get rid of the sum (using completeness)
    it tells you the correct order of the factors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook