Working with Hermitian-Adjoint - Sakurai Problem 1.4b

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the conversation is discussing a mistake in a solution for a problem involving the dagger operator. The mistake involves the incorrect distribution of the dagger operator across two scalars, which leads to an incorrect order of the factors in the matrix product. The correct order can be determined by expanding out the matrix product and taking into account the sum over a''.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

Not relevant, but I have some work that reaches incorrect conclusions, and I can't see the mistake "in the middle".

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{(XY)^\dag } = {\left( {\left\langle {a'} \right|X\left| {a''} \right\rangle \left\langle {a''} \right|Y\left| {a'''} \right\rangle } \right)^\dag } \\
= \left( {\left\langle {a'} \right|X{{\left| {a''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right)\left( {\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right) \\
= \left( {\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle }^\dag }\left\langle {a'} \right|X{{\left| {a''} \right\rangle }^\dag }} \right) = {Y^\dag }{X^\dag } \\
\end{array}[/tex]

...Somewhere, here, is a mistake. I distributed the adjoint operation "+" (dagger) across the two scalars, "<||>", but if I did that, this would imply:

[tex]{\left( {XY} \right)^\dag } = \left\langle {a'} \right|X{\left| {a''} \right\rangle ^\dag }\left\langle {a''} \right|Y{\left| {a'''} \right\rangle ^\dag } = {X^\dag }{Y^\dag } = {\rm{uh - oh}}{\rm{.}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equality doesn't make sense to me.
when you expand out a matrix product you
should have a sum over a'',
and when you get rid of the sum (using completeness)
it tells you the correct order of the factors.

1. What is the Hermitian-Adjoint of a matrix?

The Hermitian-Adjoint of a matrix is the complex conjugate of its transpose. In other words, it is obtained by taking the conjugate of each element in the matrix and then transposing it.

2. How is the Hermitian-Adjoint related to the adjoint of a matrix?

The Hermitian-Adjoint is the same as the adjoint of a matrix when the matrix is real, as the conjugation step has no effect on real numbers. However, when dealing with complex numbers, the Hermitian-Adjoint takes into account the complex conjugates, while the adjoint does not.

3. What is the significance of the Hermitian-Adjoint in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hermitian-Adjoint of an operator represents the adjoint operator, which is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the dynamics of quantum systems.

4. How do you determine if a matrix is Hermitian-Adjoint?

A matrix is Hermitian-Adjoint if it is equal to its own Hermitian-Adjoint, that is, if the matrix is equal to its complex conjugate transpose. This can be checked by comparing each element in the matrix to its conjugate and transposed element.

5. Can any matrix have a Hermitian-Adjoint?

No, only square matrices can have a Hermitian-Adjoint. In order for a matrix to have a Hermitian-Adjoint, it must be equal to its own complex conjugate transpose, which requires the same number of rows and columns.