Drawing Worm Gears and Wheels - Simplified Representation

In summary, a worm gear is a type of gear that is made up of a helix. You can find a visual representation of it by looking at a book on engineering drafting or by importing a clip art file.
L89
This is my first post
Sorry that it has to be such a stupid question...

How does one draw a worm gear along with its worm wheel?
I know that a worm gear is made up of a helix but I sure hope that I do not have to draw that! :yuck: Is there a much simpler representation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh oh. I just realize that i should post this in the educational section. I am sorry! Is there an administrator that can move this thread there?

How detailed do you need it to be? For my rough sketches on paper, I just draw a rectangle with diagonal lines across it, and a spiky circle.
If you mean, 'what does one look like', here's a picture. The Mentors might have to delete it, though, because it's from www.howstuffworks.com and I don't have permission to use it.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6607/gearwormud0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply. I think i wasn't specific enough.
I do graphics and design at school and I am designing a device that includes the worm gear. I know what the gear looks like but I need to know the visual representation of it since I have to draw some formal instrumental of the machine.

Your best approach would probably be to check a book on Engineering Draughting out of the library and see how they do it. If I have time, I'll draw one up in Illustrator for you. It might not be until after I get home from work around 8:30 tonight (since I don't know what time zone you're in, that's in a little over 12 hours). I'll try to start before I leave for work.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah I saw those before when I searched but I thought they were just illustrations. I had hoped that there was a shortcut way...seems like i have to stop being lazy and 'just do it' :frown:

Once again, thanks for the help. :smile:
I'm not :confused: anymore.

Well, there's still a lazy approach possible. You might be able to find what you want in a clip-art library somewhere and just import it to your art file. I don't have a clue where that would be, though. My Corel Gallery 2 doesn't have one. Try an on-line clip-art search.

Cool. I'll get to it.

worm drive gears

L89 said:
Cool. I'll get to it.
hi there,,,,,first post, hope this helps, if you can get hold of an autocad program, mechanical desktop is best for this, you will find drop in Pic Files of practically any type of gear design and assembly. If you don't find what you need, just grab a file of a single helical (bevel) gear wheel, and a file of a spiral helical (bevel worm), drop them onto your page and scale them to suit each other, then you can chose to show them as solids, wire style etc.
Hope this helps
Pat:smile:

1. What is the purpose of drawing worm gears and wheels?

The purpose of drawing worm gears and wheels is to provide a simplified representation of these mechanical components. This allows for easier visualization and understanding of their structure and function.

2. What are some key features to consider when drawing worm gears and wheels?

When drawing worm gears and wheels, it is important to consider their size, number of teeth, pressure angle, pitch, and helix angle. These features determine the overall performance and efficiency of the gears and wheels.

3. Can worm gears and wheels be drawn using any software?

Yes, worm gears and wheels can be drawn using various computer-aided design (CAD) software. However, it is important to choose a software that is specifically designed for drawing mechanical components to ensure accurate representations.

4. What are some common mistakes when drawing worm gears and wheels?

Some common mistakes when drawing worm gears and wheels include incorrect sizing, improper placement of teeth, and incorrect angles. These mistakes can lead to mechanical issues and decrease the efficiency of the gears and wheels.

5. How can one ensure the accuracy of their drawing for worm gears and wheels?

To ensure accuracy when drawing worm gears and wheels, it is important to refer to detailed technical specifications and use precise measurements. Additionally, regularly checking and double-checking the drawing for any errors can help ensure accuracy.