1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worth it to get double major?

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1
    At my Uni i can get a double major in CS and CE with take few extra clases.

Basically its a bit harder/longer to get the major in CE.

CE:http://www.cse.usf.edu/files/35141300131860cpeFlowchart2009.pdf
    CS: http://www.cse.usf.edu/files/86021253722868csFlowchart2009.pdf

I have to take Diff Equations(taken already) Electrical Sys I, Electronics Materials as requirement for CE

And as far as CS i need 24h Electives, Compared to 22h in CE (counting extra clases in CE that are not in CS)

Also i have to take System Design and CMOS VLSI Design (but this clases can be elective in the CS program, so they are not really extra clases)

So if im not mistaken i will have to take two extra classes, Electrical Sys I, and Electronics Materials to get both majors CS and CE.

I Talked to my advisor and she told me that i wont get both degrees that i would have to pick one, (hence another question... if i go for both Which one do i pick????) but my transcripts will show that i have both majors...

So been said all this is it worth it to get both degrees??? or should i just pick one over the other one???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2012 #2
    What do you want to do after you get your degree? Are you planning on grad school? What area would you like to study?

4. Jul 4, 2012 #3
    Yup i would like to to go to grad school.

On what to do after i get my degree.... Im not sure... I really like robotics, electronics, but i also like IT,servers,programming, etc

Not sure where the salary CE vs CS, but i guess i wont base my studies on salary but i know its important =)

5. Jul 4, 2012 #4
    I think you should choose your bachelors degree in a way that makes sense for your graduate choices. Since you already have computer engineering and computer science experience. You can already pretty much do all the areas you have specified.

The question which do you prefer, hardware or software? Computer science is not necessarily the same as programming, its a field around designing things such as algorithms checking them for complexity etc.

Computer Engineering jobs I would imagine are mostly overseas in places like china... Most computer parts are manufactured their, if it was me I would study computer science. People say programmers are getting outsourced as well, and that is true, but not nearly as bad as electronics. In the end it is entirely up to you

6. Jul 5, 2012 #5

7. Jul 5, 2012 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This would lead me to believe that you can't get "both" degrees.

8. Jul 5, 2012 #7
    Well she said the florida laws states that i must do an extra 15 credit to get both papers(the actual printed degree) but that my transcripts will show that i have completed the requirements for both majors, so that i "reality" i would have both...

Now i know there are alot of jobs for computer science in the US, I havent seem much on Comp Eng...

Are the job markets equal for both majors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook