Fly Colliding with Car/Plane at 100/800km/hr

• Thread starter selseg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, this conversation discusses the potential collision of a fly on a moving vehicle, specifically a car and a plane. The question arises of whether the fly would collide with the back glass or remain stationary, and if the same situation would occur on a plane. It is suggested to consider Newton's First Law of Motion to answer these questions.
selseg
Assuming a car is traveling at 100km/hr and there is a fly on the dashboard of the car, if the housefly attempts to fly , would it collide with the back glass of the car or it would move with the same velocity as the car thus being stationary.

Assuming the same situation in a plane traveling at 800km/hr ie 222m/s , would the fly collide with part of the plane .

Engineering news on Phys.org

selseg said:
Assuming a car is traveling at 100km/hr and there is a fly on the dashboard of the car, if the housefly attempts to fly , would it collide with the back glass of the car or it would move with the same velocity as the car thus being stationary.

Assuming the same situation in a plane traveling at 800km/hr ie 222m/s , would the fly collide with part of the plane .

Ask yourself this.

When you fly on a plane, and you jump do you splat against the rear of the plane? Why do you think this is?

selseg said:

What do you think? This sounds a lot like schoolwork, and you are required to show some effort in solving schoolwork questions. What do you think will happen, and why?

xxChrisxx said:
When you fly on a plane, and you jump do you splat against the rear of the plane? Why do you think this is?
I actually tried that on a train when I was about five or six years old. I think I was a bit nervous before I jumped. :smile:

Fredrik said:
I actually tried that on a train when I was about five or six years old. I think I was a bit nervous before I jumped. :smile:

Yet you lived to tell the tale. Perhaps that indicates something to the OP :approve:

I used to ask myself this, then I read Newtons First Law :)

I've never asked myself this since I've been in a vehicle with a fly a number of times trying to get the pesky critters out the window.

This is not a homework question anyway its just one of those questions that keeps occurring to me but it seems I forgot Newtons first law of motion . Thanks

1. How fast does a fly need to be flying to collide with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr?

A fly does not need to be flying at a specific speed to collide with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr. The speed of the fly is not a determining factor in the collision.

2. Can a fly survive a collision with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr?

It is highly unlikely that a fly would survive a collision with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr. The impact from the high speeds and force of the collision would most likely result in the death of the fly.

3. What are the chances of a fly colliding with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr?

The chances of a fly colliding with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr are very low. Flies have the ability to detect and avoid oncoming objects, and the chances of them being in the same path as a car or a plane moving at such high speeds are slim.

4. How does the collision between a fly and a car/plane at 100/800km/hr affect the car/plane?

The impact of a fly colliding with a car/plane at 100/800km/hr would most likely not have any noticeable effect on the car/plane. The mass and size of the fly are too small to cause any significant damage to the larger and stronger vehicle.

5. Is there any risk to the car/plane if it collides with a fly at 100/800km/hr?

No, there is no risk to the car/plane if it collides with a fly at 100/800km/hr. As mentioned earlier, the mass and size of the fly are too small to cause any significant damage to the car/plane, and the collision would most likely go unnoticed by the driver/pilot.