Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would a fly collide with the back of a car if it moves from the dashboard at 100km/hr

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Assuming a car is travelling at 100km/hr and there is a fly on the dashboard of the car, if the housefly attempts to fly , would it collide with the back glass of the car or it would move with the same velocity as the car thus being stationary.

Assuming the same situation in a plane traveling at 800km/hr ie 222m/s , would the fly collide with part of the plane .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    Re: Would a fly collide with the back of a car if it moves from the dashboard at 100k

Ask yourself this.

When you fly on a plane, and you jump do you splat against the rear of the plane? Why do you think this is?

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Would a fly collide with the back of a car if it moves from the dashboard at 100k

What do you think? This sounds a lot like schoolwork, and you are required to show some effort in solving schoolwork questions. What do you think will happen, and why?

5. Apr 22, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I actually tried that on a train when I was about five or six years old. I think I was a bit nervous before I jumped. :smile:

6. Apr 22, 2010 #5

Yet you lived to tell the tale. Perhaps that indicates something to the OP :approve:

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6

I used to ask myself this, then I read Newtons First Law :)

8. Apr 22, 2010 #7

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never asked myself this since I've been in a vehicle with a fly a number of times trying to get the pesky critters out the window.

9. Apr 24, 2010 #8

This is not a homework question anyway its just one of those questions that keeps occuring to me but it seems I forgot newtons first law of motion . Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook