Would an hourglass on a rocket going up empty faster than one on the ground?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hyrodi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Empty Ground Rocket
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
hyrodi
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Just wondering. Would appreciate any input! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that if the rocket was accelerating then the hourglass would indeed empty faster. I'm trying to figure out why, though...
 
If the hourglass does empty faster it is not due in much part to the downward force on the sand above the neck.
 
hyrodi said:
I think that if the rocket was accelerating then the hourglass would indeed empty faster. I'm trying to figure out why, though...
Well, what makes the sand fall in the first place? What effect would vertical acceleration have on this cause?