Would like some advice becoming more employable for power industry

In summary, the person is a university student about to start their last year and is concerned about their employability in the power industry. They have a low GPA and no power-related experience, but have had internships in other fields. The person is seeking advice on what skillsets power companies look for in recent electrical graduates and if there is a way to make up for their lack of power experience. The suggestion is to get involved with IEEE PES to network and gain experience in the industry.
stampit
Hello /r/ece. I am going to begin my last year of university in the upcoming month, but I feel like I am not quite employable for power yet. I haven't done terribly well during my first year and I've repeated my second year, so my GPA isn't that great either. I've had a few internships to show off on my resume, but none of them were related to power. Here are some questions I have in mind.

1. What would be common skillsets power companies look for from a recent electrical grad?
2. What would be advanced skillsets power companies look for from a recent electrical grad?
3. Is there a way for me to make up for the lack of power related experience power industry often requires? I guess I'm hoping to look for something I could do on my own.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note: This is Physics Forums, not reddit :).

I don't work in the power industry but I know many that do. The best advice I can give you is to get involved with your local IEEE PES (power and energy society). They have societies in almost every major city. Go to their meetings, volunteer to help at events, and create some relationships.

1. What skills are most valuable in the power industry?

The power industry values a variety of skills, but some of the most valuable include technical skills such as electrical engineering, project management, and energy efficiency. Soft skills such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork are also highly valued.

2. How can I gain experience in the power industry?

One way to gain experience in the power industry is through internships or co-op programs. These opportunities allow you to work and learn in a real-world setting. You can also join relevant industry associations or participate in projects or research related to the power industry.

3. What types of education are required for a career in the power industry?

The education requirements for the power industry vary depending on the specific job or role. However, most positions in the industry require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or energy management. Some roles may also require advanced degrees or certifications.

4. How can I make my resume stand out for a job in the power industry?

To make your resume stand out, highlight your relevant skills and experiences. Also, tailor your resume to the specific job or company you are applying for. This shows that you have taken the time to research and understand the industry and the company's needs.

5. What are some networking opportunities in the power industry?

Networking is crucial in the power industry, and there are many opportunities to connect with professionals and potential employers. These include industry conferences, trade shows, career fairs, and online networking platforms. Joining professional associations and attending networking events organized by these groups can also be beneficial.