Would the world destroy itself?

• Thread starter DreadVile
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Evo said:
I take it to mean that too many people can't live without the emotional crutch that someone is watching over them, guiding their lives, taking care of things and they will be rewarded after they die. If their crutch disappears, they would fall apart, and belief in a god is an emotional crutch in this sense. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong for someone to have that need, but for millions of people to suddenly be stripped of their crutch would be crippling to society.
There is that too.

On the other hand, if humanity was to destroy itself, the world would still exist.

In fact, if we look forward into the future to when the sun will transform into a nova, all life will be destroyed, except that which might have traveled somewhere else in the solar system or galaxy.

I don't know anything about whether humanity will/would/could destroy itself but I remember something I heard on the Animal Planet...the Y chromosome that allows human males to exist, supposedly, was bigger than it is today...and it's, supposedly, getting smaller, so much so that it may disappear entirely in about 125,000 years.:bugeye: Like I said, I don't know if humanity will or could destory itself but I wonder what would happen if, in 125,000 years, men ceased to exist...think the surviving females will be able to reproduce without males like that one species of lizard?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DreadVile said:
"If I could prove there was no God I would keep it a secret lest the world destroyed itself" R. A. Underwood

I read that quote and it posed a good question. Lets assume that someone can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that God does not exist.

What would the world do, would the quote be right?
OK. There is no god! What happen? nothing!

Answered.

Last edited: