Wow, policitical commercials = stupid

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: Why are Canadians so defensive about health care anyhow. Maybe its so bad that they don't want ot be found out so everyones forced to defend it with their... lives?
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I'm starting to think that all the money spent on political commercials for the upcoming propositions on the CA ballot could easily pay off the debt California has... nay, the entire country has.

I just checked a spurt of commercials and out of 7 commercials, 4 were commercials about the proposition measures/bashing the governor... and the voting is still some 3 weeks away. I am pretty sure on the last week, ads are going to be popping up on the TV in simpsons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way, the unions are spending all of there money putting out lies about the Gov and his propositions. This is a good thing, the union members are seeing all there dues money spent on adds trying to defeat a proposition that is saying that their money can't be spent on political things without their consent. Then the unions will have to turn around and ask for more money. I love it; they are literally hanging them selves. So, I say spend away. I must admit, I hate listening to them… It makes my blood pressure go up.

Yah i like how political commercials just get a grain of truth and add it to a mountain of lies. Pretty much going to get to a point where a ballot initiative will have something simple like "Invest $50,000 in juvenile diabetes research" and a thousand commercials will come out going "The governor is trying to privatize health care! VOTE NO!"

I guess people are absolutely stupid and rather listen to 40 hours of commercial instead of taking 40 minutes to read the actual proposition texts. Oddly enough, the one that really requires the most thinking and judgement is the proposition for the PUC's. Of course, it's getting the absolute least coverage on tv.

Isn't healthcare in California already privatized?

Smurf said:
Isn't healthcare in California already privatized?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

If by privatized you mean largest social health care network in the nation... then yes, it is privatized.

Pengwuino said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If by privatized you mean largest social health care network in the nation... then yes, it is privatized.
There are three countries in the world where privatel healthcare is illegal:
North Korea, Cuba, and... wait for it... Canada.

What I mean by 'privatized' is slightly different that what you mean, me thinks.

Smurf said:
There are three countries in the world where privatel healthcare is illegal:
North Korea, Cuba, and... wait for it... Canada.
What I mean by 'privatized' is slightly different that what you mean, me thinks.

I think you need to get your sarcasm meter fixed. I am amazed that Canadians are so easily pushed around by having socialized health care forced on them if that is the case.

You're in good company however.

Pengwuino said:
Oddly enough, the one that really requires the most thinking and judgement is the proposition for the PUC's.

I think prop 80 is a NO Vote! Here's why.
1. Imposes duties on Commission, Legislature and electrical providers. ( more tax, higher bills)
2. Requires all retail electric sellers, instead of just private utilities, to increase renewable energy resource procurement by at least 1% each year, with 20% of retail sales procured from renewable energy by 2010, instead of current requirement of 2017. (forcing hug-a-tree power production, as evidanced by gas prices more rules on production = higher prices)
3.Potential annual state administrative costs ranging from negligible up to around $4 million. (ok, that means the state will end up spending atleast 1billion, lol)

Bottom line is, more regulation and less free market dynamics = bad deal

Well normally I'd agree but a lot of PG&E's problems came about when they were de-regulated.

Pengwuino said:
I think you need to get your sarcasm meter fixed. I am amazed that Canadians are so easily pushed around by having socialized health care forced on them if that is the case.
You're in good company however.
Forced on them? The conservatives have been trying to privatize healthcare for decades now. The Canadian people don't want it. That's why the torries have no chance of ever being elected, and the Liberals know it, so they won't do it either.

Smurf said:
Forced on them? The conservatives have been trying to privatize healthcare for decades now. The Canadian people don't want it. That's why the torries have no chance of ever being elected, and the Liberals know it, so they won't do it either.

Making it illegal = forcing.

Pengwuino said:
Making it illegal = forcing.
Does that apply to everything?

Smurf said:
Does that apply to everything?

That is kinda the definition of something being illegal... Unless of course there are illegal things that can be legally done :biggrin:

Go back to humping rocks.

Why are Canadians so defensive about health care anyhow. Maybe its so bad that they don't want ot be found out so everyones forced to defend it with their lives.

1. Why do political commercials seem so stupid?

Political commercials often seem oversimplified or exaggerated because they are designed to appeal to a wide audience and influence public opinion. They are carefully crafted to evoke emotional responses rather than provide detailed information.

2. Are political commercials effective in swaying voters?

Research has shown that political commercials can have some impact on voters, but their effectiveness varies depending on the content and delivery. They may be more effective in reinforcing existing beliefs rather than changing them.

3. Do political commercials accurately represent the candidates?

Most political commercials are created and paid for by the candidates or their campaigns, so they may not provide a completely unbiased view. They often highlight the positive aspects of the candidate and downplay any negative aspects.

4. How do political commercials impact democracy?

Some argue that political commercials can be harmful to democracy as they often rely on emotional appeals and misinformation rather than presenting objective facts. They can also contribute to the polarization of political views.

5. Is there any regulation on political commercials?

In the United States, political commercials are subject to regulations by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Federal Election Commission (FEC). These regulations primarily focus on ensuring transparency and fairness in campaign advertising.