Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wright Brothers Flying Machine

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    http://www.turnertoys.com/G1/MM2202bat144.jpg [Broken]

"The Wright Bat Vertical Flying Machine
    Wilbur and Orville Wright (you've heard of them) played with a wooden version of this toy in 1878. Their father, Bishop Milton Wright, bought it for them as a gift. Wind the rotor and let go - it flies up! Tie a light plastic ribbon tail to it as a stabilizer. "

Hi! I've been wondering how to reconstruct this model flying machine! Can anyone give me a few pointers/guides?

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Get a balsa wood rubber-band airplane kit from a hobby store, and modify the wings to look more like that. Or just play with the plane vertically.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks, but I've tried searching my local hobby store, but none of them seem to be able to work this one claims to. So, I was thinking of making this by hand, using supplies from my local hardware store.

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    Yeah! That's exactly the page where I got it from! But I'm more interested in making a similar model using household objects and was wondering if anyone had good alternative materials on how to build it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook