1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wright Brothers Flying Machine

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1

"The Wright Bat Vertical Flying Machine
    Wilbur and Orville Wright (you've heard of them) played with a wooden version of this toy in 1878. Their father, Bishop Milton Wright, bought it for them as a gift. Wind the rotor and let go - it flies up! Tie a light plastic ribbon tail to it as a stabilizer. "

Hi! I've been wondering how to reconstruct this model flying machine! Can anyone give me a few pointers/guides?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Get a balsa wood rubber-band airplane kit from a hobby store, and modify the wings to look more like that. Or just play with the plane vertically.
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks, but I've tried searching my local hobby store, but none of them seem to be able to work this one claims to. So, I was thinking of making this by hand, using supplies from my local hardware store.
  5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    Yeah! That's exactly the page where I got it from! But I'm more interested in making a similar model using household objects and was wondering if anyone had good alternative materials on how to build it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?