Write Lagrangian of spring-mass system

In summary, a spring-mass system on a frictionless surface with a pendulum attached can be described using the Lagrangian, taking into account the angular displacement of the pendulum and the stretch of the spring. However, in order to accurately calculate the kinetic energy, an interaction term between the spring and the pendulum must be included, which affects the normal mode frequencies.
CNX

Homework Statement

Spring-mass system on a frictionless surface. A pendulum hangs from the mass of the spring-mass system. Write the Lagrangian.

The Attempt at a Solution

Take [itex]x[/itex] as the stretch from equilibrium of the spring and [itex]k[/itex] its elastic constant. [itex]M[/itex] is the mass on the spring.

Take [itex]\theta[/itex] as the angular displacement from equilibrium of the pendulum, and [itex]m[/itex] as the mass on the end of the pendulum.
[tex]T = \frac{1}{2} M \dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m l^2 \dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + m g l (1-\cos \theta)[/tex]

Now if I take [itex]M=2m[/itex] and [itex]k=mg/l[/itex] and [itex](1-\cos \theta) = \theta^2/2[/itex] I get two normal modes but in one only the spring moves, and in the other only the pendulum moves. Am I missing an interaction term between the spring and pendulum?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yeah, I think you are. When you compute the kinetic energy for the small mass m, you can't just write separate terms for the spring motion [itex]m\dot{x}^2/2[/itex] and the pendulum motion [itex]ml^2 \dot{\theta}^2/2[/itex], because those two are not linearly independent. (By writing them as separate terms, you were kind of implicitly assuming that they are) Instead, I'd suggest finding expressions for the x and y coordinates of the small mass and differentiating them to get the velocity, which you can then plug into the kinetic energy formula:
[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}m v_x^2 + \frac{1}{2}m v_y^2[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}(M+m)\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + 2 \dot{x} l \dot{\theta} \cos \theta)[/tex]

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 - m g l \cos \theta[/tex]

I want to find the normal mode frequencies. How do I handle the [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] factor in the kinetic energy matrix when constructing the eigenvalue problem?

Last edited:

1. What is a spring-mass system?

A spring-mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, which is fixed at one end and free to move at the other end. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force on the mass, causing it to oscillate around the equilibrium position.

2. Why is the Lagrangian method used to describe spring-mass systems?

The Lagrangian method is used to describe spring-mass systems because it provides a more elegant and concise way of expressing the equations of motion compared to the traditional Newton's laws approach. It also takes into account the system's energy and constraints, making it useful for analyzing complex systems.

3. What is the Lagrangian of a spring-mass system?

The Lagrangian of a spring-mass system is the difference between the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. It is represented by the symbol L and is given by L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy.

4. How is the Lagrangian of a spring-mass system derived?

The Lagrangian of a spring-mass system is derived by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the system and applying the principle of least action. This principle states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian method to analyze spring-mass systems?

Using the Lagrangian method to analyze spring-mass systems has several advantages. It provides a more general and elegant approach to solving problems compared to using Newton's laws. It also takes into account the system's energy and constraints, making it useful for analyzing complex systems. Additionally, it simplifies the calculations involved in solving the equations of motion, making it a more efficient method for solving problems.