1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write Lagrangian of spring-mass system

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1

CNX

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Spring-mass system on a frictionless surface. A pendulum hangs from the mass of the spring-mass system. Write the Lagrangian.

3. The attempt at a solution

Take [itex]x[/itex] as the stretch from equilibrium of the spring and [itex]k[/itex] its elastic constant. [itex]M[/itex] is the mass on the spring.

Take [itex]\theta[/itex] as the angular displacement from equilibrium of the pendulum, and [itex]m[/itex] as the mass on the end of the pendulum.

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2} M \dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m l^2 \dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + m g l (1-\cos \theta)[/tex]

Now if I take [itex]M=2m[/itex] and [itex]k=mg/l[/itex] and [itex](1-\cos \theta) = \theta^2/2[/itex] I get two normal modes but in one only the spring moves, and in the other only the pendulum moves. Am I missing an interaction term between the spring and pendulum?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Re: Spring+Pendulum

Yeah, I think you are. When you compute the kinetic energy for the small mass m, you can't just write separate terms for the spring motion [itex]m\dot{x}^2/2[/itex] and the pendulum motion [itex]ml^2 \dot{\theta}^2/2[/itex], because those two are not linearly independent. (By writing them as separate terms, you were kind of implicitly assuming that they are) Instead, I'd suggest finding expressions for the x and y coordinates of the small mass and differentiating them to get the velocity, which you can then plug into the kinetic energy formula:
    [tex]T = \frac{1}{2}m v_x^2 + \frac{1}{2}m v_y^2[/tex]

4. Aug 11, 2009 #3

CNX

Re: Spring+Pendulum

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}(M+m)\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + 2 \dot{x} l \dot{\theta} \cos \theta)[/tex]

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 - m g l \cos \theta[/tex]

I want to find the normal mode frequencies. How do I handle the [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] factor in the kinetic energy matrix when constructing the eigenvalue problem?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook