Writing a Scientific Article In High School

In summary: I am in high school and my last year.I want to write an article.I am working on something.I have original ideas and I want to share them.But I don't have any idea about how to write a scientific paper.And also I don't know where I will going to send the paper.In summary, your main problem is that you don't know how to write a scientific paper, and you don't even know where to start. The second issue is that if you do not know where to send the paper, then you are obviously unaware about which journals publish research on your selected topic.
Quarlep
I am In high school and its my last year.I want to write an scientific article.I am working on something.I have original ideas and I want to share them.But I don't have any idea about how to write a scientific paper.And also I don't know where I will going to send the paper.
Is there any problem to write an article in high school ? Should I finish university to write better article ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you want to write a paper and publish it in a scientific journal? If you have stuff that is worth publishing, then you have no doubt read some published papers already. So how do you write the scientific paper? Mimic the scientific papers that you have read. Use LaTeX. Where do you publish your paper? In a journal that deals with your topic of interests. Since you read some published papers already, the journals where they were published are good choices for a journal where you should publish yours.

Quarlep said:
Is there any problem to write an article in high school ?

Your main problem is this:
Quarlep said:
But I don't have any idea about how to write a scientific paper.And also I don't know where I will going to send the paper.

Since you do not know how to write a scientific paper, i.e., what should go into one, you are obviously not aware of the current state of the field (whatever field it might be). How can you hope to write anything original which has not already been ruled out if you do not know how a scientific paper looks?

The second issue is that if you do not know where to send the paper, then you are obviously unaware about which journals publish research on your selected topic. This again points to not knowing the state of the field and what can and cannot be done.

There is a reason people go through several years of undergraduate studies followed by some rough years as a PhD candidate before being considered independent researchers.

The best advice you can get is: Do not rush it! Spend time learning the field, go through university and do it the proper way.

The problem is I don't have enough math and education to read an article.But my idea looks like einstein special relativity idea
, you don't need so much calculations.I don't have any adviser.I am working alone. I have never read any scientific magazine.I have S.W Hawking "The stuff that we made of "book I read some articles but that's it.

I want to rush cause I want to get better university.This article can be my ticket to better university.And I have a fear that somebody can find the idea before me.

The main problem is I have idea but I can't proof 100 per cent cause I did it.I don't have any scientific background.I used math to proof it but I am not sure.I am stucked.Again I want to wait but then I won't be able to go better university.

If you
1) Don't know enough math
2) Have no scientific background
3) Have never read a scientific magazine
then you have no valid theory. I'm sorry. And even in the very unlikely case that you do have a valid theory, then you have no way of knowing that it has done before. And it likely has been done before.

I think I can proof myself to write a pre article thing.I can understand your concer I am not sure too.But I used math to prove it.Or I should wait to finish university as Orodruin said.

Given what you've told us, it is almost certain that you do not have an original idea, and likely not even a physically substantive idea. Do you know for sure that this idea has never been proposed before? On what evidence and theory are you basing this idea? Mathematics is the language of physics. Special relativity has a lot of qualitative elements and is more conceptually difficult than it is computationally difficult, but it is still a very quantitative theory. You seem to be suggesting that your theory doesn't involve much math - 'like special relativity,' but this very point speaks of a lack of knowledge of the field. I don't say this to sound rude, but it sounds as if you're writing a philosophy paper more than a physics paper.

You're in a hurry, and it really isn't necessary. The very vast majority of students that get accepted into good schools have never published any scientific papers in high school. You're far better off to take your time and really learn the material in your courses, and do as well in them as you can.

QuantumCurt said:
Given what you've told us, it is almost certain that you do not have an original idea, and likely not even a physically substantive idea. Do you know for sure that this idea has never been proposed before?
I am 99 percent sure that this idea never been proposed.

QuantumCurt said:
On what evidence and theory are you basing this idea?
Interesting thing is my theory fits the observations.But my idea is most basic idea.It can be modified.It based on simple Energy conservation and Relativity theories.

QuantumCurt said:
Special relativity has a lot of qualitative elements and is more conceptually difficult than it is computationally difficult, but it is still a very quantitative theory. You seem to be suggesting that your theory doesn't involve much math - 'like special relativity,' but this very point speaks of a lack of knowledge of the field.
A high scool student can easily understand what I wrote.Special Relativity of course not like that but my theory is logically and mathematicly simple.
QuantumCurt said:
You're in a hurry, and it really isn't necessary.
Maybe you will not believe me but I was started to make theories when I was 14. When I was 15 I found three torus model of universe myself.But then I learned that It was found 1980.Of course When I was 15 I don't have enough math and physics to prove that.But know I am trying to make something.
I can stop myself from thinking.I need to think something.I need to keep busy myself and I learning some stuff too.
QuantumCurt said:
The very vast majority of students that get accepted into good schools have never published any scientific papers in high school. You're far better off to take your time and really learn the material in your courses, and do as well in them as you can.
I live in a country which education system is sucks.I need to write something to get better university or I will go terrible university.Here physics education is soo bad.I want to go abroad.

ZapperZ said:
You are way too young to start off your career as a crackpot.
Maybe I am crackpot maybe I am not You cannot tell anything without seeing my idea.

Quarlep said:
I am 99 percent sure that this idea never been proposed.

How can you possibly determine that if you never read an actual science book or paper??

Quarlep said:
Maybe I am crackpot maybe I am not You cannot tell anything without seeing my idea.

A crackpot is not determined by the worth of his ideas, but by his attitude. More specifically the attitude that you don't need to read anything relevant like papers or books in order to develop your ideas. And your attitude in this thread says enough, whether your ideas are correct or not is quite irrelevant for this.

Likes e.bar.goum
micromass said:
How can you possibly determine that if you never read an actual science book or paper??
I can guess.Cause If my idea is published I probably heard it.If my idea is true then it will be a huge step in physics.So I didnt heard something like that.

Then I am crackpot. I read the thing ZapperZ post. I thought that crackpot means when your idea is nonsense.

Quarlep said:
I can guess.Cause If my idea is published I probably heard it.

Why? There are more physics papers published every day than you can read in a year time. How can you possibly expect to have heard of everything?

If my idea is true then it will be a huge step in physics.So I didnt heard something like that.

Let's be rational here. What are the chances that a high school student with no training in math or physics finds something that thousands of physicists never thought of? Let alone that something like this has truly never happened in the modern history of physics!

Then I am crackpot. I read the thing ZapperZ post. I thought that crackpot means when your idea is nonsense.

True, crackpot doesn't mean by definition that your idea is nonsense. But I know no crackpot whose ideas are valid. So there is a very strong correlation.

If you want to publish in the peer-reviewed literature then you must:

1) read lots of the peer-reviewed literature
2) select a journal where your paper fits best
3) read the instructions to authors in that journal
4) write your paper in accordance with the instructions
5) submit according to the instructions

Everyone who has written in the peer-reviewed literature has done these steps. In particular step (1) is the most important. As you do (1) you will find that someone has already published your idea. You will then get a new idea, go back to (1), and find that someone has published that idea also. This pattern will repeat for several years before you actually find an original idea.

Please return when you have spend some substantial time on (1). Until then there is nothing else to discuss here and I do not want to let this degenerate into a flame war.

1. What is the purpose of writing a scientific article in high school?

The purpose of writing a scientific article in high school is to develop critical thinking skills, improve scientific writing abilities, and gain knowledge and experience in conducting research and presenting results. It also allows students to contribute to the scientific community and potentially have their work published.

2. What should be included in a scientific article in high school?

A scientific article in high school should have a clear introduction, methods section, results section, discussion, and conclusion. It should also include a thorough literature review, proper citations, and figures/tables to support the findings.

3. How do I choose a topic for my scientific article in high school?

To choose a topic for a scientific article in high school, start by identifying your interests and strengths in a particular subject. Then, conduct research to find a gap in the current literature that you can address with your article. You can also seek guidance from your teacher or mentor for topic suggestions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a scientific article in high school?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a scientific article in high school include not following the proper structure and format, using informal language, not properly citing sources, and not thoroughly reviewing and editing the article for errors. It is also important to avoid bias and to accurately represent the data and results.

5. How can I improve my scientific writing skills for writing a high school article?

To improve scientific writing skills for writing a high school article, it is important to read and analyze scientific articles in your field of interest, practice writing and receiving feedback from peers and mentors, and attend workshops or classes on scientific writing. It is also helpful to constantly revise and edit your work to improve clarity and accuracy.