Writing essays using Lyx: Where is the mac version gone?

In summary, the conversation is about the availability of Lyx for Mac and the difficulties the person is facing in downloading it due to the FTP server being down. They have tried various options but have not been successful. Another person suggests downloading it from the official website and mentions that they are currently downloading it themselves. The original person realizes that using a VPN may have been the issue and apologizes for the inconvenience.
arianabedi
Writing essays using Lyx: Where is the mac version gone??

Dear PFers,

Im a young-old-time-Latex user and I always use Lyx when doing simple reports like Laboratory reports (as a good and stable GUI). Ever once in a while, I format all my electronic devices (and i mean all of them, even the toaster!) and reinstall all their OS. Now I have backup of everything...except Lyx for Mac. I have no idea how, but I do have backup of MikTex and Latex for Mac but not lyx itself.

After searching for it, it seems that the FTP server which lyx's website uses is down (only the MAC version, not the others) and I have no way of getting it! I already tried filehippo, Cnet and MACupdate but they all redirect me to that FTP site!

Anyone knows a working link to download Lyx for Mac?

Its hard to stay at home on my desktop and write stuff, I'm a sit-in-a-cafe-and-do-math guy :D

-A

Physics news on Phys.org
I googled 'Lyx for Mac' and found that it can be downloaded from the download page of lyx.org here:

http://www.lyx.org/Download

ETA:

If that doesn't work for you then it's something on your end because I'm downloading the software right now to check it out.

ChaseDuncan said:
I googled 'Lyx for Mac' and found that it can be downloaded from the download page of lyx.org here:

http://www.lyx.org/Download

ETA:

If that doesn't work for you then it's something on your end because I'm downloading the software right now to check it out.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest I'm note sure how it never occurred to me to turn my VPN software off and download it form the website again!

Sorry for the bother. Sadly without the VPN (in China) its going to take me 2-3 hours to download a relatively small 100MB file :)

1. Where can I find the mac version of Lyx for writing essays?

The mac version of Lyx can be found on the official Lyx website, under the "Download" section. You can also search for "Lyx mac download" on your preferred search engine to find direct download links.

2. Is the mac version of Lyx compatible with all versions of macOS?

Yes, the mac version of Lyx is compatible with all versions of macOS. However, make sure to check the system requirements on the official Lyx website before downloading to ensure compatibility with your specific version of macOS.

3. Can I use Lyx to write essays in different languages?

Yes, Lyx supports multiple languages and you can easily change the language settings to suit your needs. This can be done by going to "Document > Settings > Language" and selecting the desired language.

4. Is there a tutorial or guide available for using Lyx for essay writing?

Yes, there are various tutorials and guides available online for using Lyx for essay writing. You can also find a detailed user manual on the official Lyx website, which covers all the basic and advanced features of the software.

5. Can I collaborate with others on an essay using Lyx?

Yes, Lyx allows for collaboration with others through its "Track Changes" feature. This allows multiple users to make changes and comments on the same document, making it easier to collaborate and make revisions together.