Writing letter to a professor about enrollment into MS program

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to write an email to a professor regarding their enrollment in an MS program. They are unsure whether to include all the details in the body of the email or as a separate document attachment, and what to write in the subject line. The expert suggests keeping the email brief and polite, attaching a PDF file with relevant information, and using a simple subject line such as "Enrollment MSc program." They also emphasize the importance of checking grammar in the email.
clumps tim
Hi people,

This is the first time I am writing a letter to a professor about my enrollment into their MS program. i have already completed a draft with my cgpa, current thesis, research interest etc.
Now do I write the whole detail in the body of the email or i make a doc file and attach it to mail. also what would be a good subject of my mail.
please response

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no special advice concerning this topic, because I don't know about the habits at your university. The only thing, I'd avoid is a doc-file attachment. You don't write which subject you work in, but here in theoretical physics the computing environment is usually linux or another unix flavor. Proprietery file formats are not always appreciated, although usually it's no problem to read them with libreoffice or openoffice. I'd attach one pdf file with CV, research interests, etc. and keep the e-mail short (like a cover letter).

and what should i write in the "subject" part of my mail?

I think the cover email should be compact. State the intention of the email, then refer to the pdf file attached. Also, be polite and gramaticaly corect. Would you want a student that doesn't even bother to check his grammar in the two most important sentences that he will write this year?

Not much more than this (I don't know how formal MSc applications are. Here, every student can simply choose to continue with an MSc after finishing his Bachelor thesis):

title: enrollment MSc program

Dear Professor X,

I am applying for enrollment in the MSc program and have prepared all necessary documents for your consideration.
Please find them attached to this email.

With kind regards,
John Doe

Dear [Professor's Name],

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is and I am writing to express my interest in enrolling in your MS program. I have completed a draft with my current CGPA, thesis, and research interests, and I wanted to reach out to you directly to discuss my application further.

I am excited about the opportunity to be a part of your program and to learn from your expertise in [specific field of study]. I have a strong academic background, as evidenced by my current CGPA of [CGPA], and I am eager to continue my education in a more specialized and research-focused setting.

I have attached a detailed document outlining my academic background, research experience, and specific research interests. I believe this will give you a better understanding of my qualifications and goals for pursuing an MS degree in your program.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss my application further and to learn more about the program. Please let me know if there is any additional information or materials you would like me to provide. Thank you for considering my application and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

1. How should I address the professor in my letter?

The best way to address the professor in your letter is to use their formal title and last name, such as "Dear Professor Smith." This shows respect and professionalism.

2. What information should I include in my letter?

Your letter should include your name, the program you are applying for, your educational background, and any relevant experiences or achievements. Be sure to also explain why you are interested in the program and why you believe you would be a good fit.

3. Is it appropriate to mention any connections or referrals in my letter?

If you have any connections to the professor or the university, it is appropriate to mention them in your letter. This could include alumni, current students, or colleagues who have recommended the program to you. However, avoid name-dropping or using connections as the sole reason for your interest in the program.

4. How long should my letter be?

Your letter should be concise and to the point. Aim for no more than one page, and make sure to focus on the most important and relevant information. Keep in mind that the professor likely receives many letters and may not have time to read lengthy ones.

5. Should I include any supporting documents with my letter?

You may choose to include supporting documents such as your resume, transcripts, or letters of recommendation with your letter. However, make sure they are relevant and add value to your application. It is also a good idea to mention them in your letter rather than including them as attachments.